3GS - wont charge in docs my 2g charged in :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stampax, Jun 21, 2009.

1. stampax macrumors member

Big problem for me - i'm finding my iphone 3gs wont charge in docks that my old 2g iphone would charge in. This is going to cause me a major headache. Just wondered why apple have done this?
    I normally have it plugged in whilst driving so i could listen to it - that was fine when it was charging the whole time, but now i'll have to keep the screen off or it will be dead in no time.

Do newer stereos with iphone docks charge the 3gs? Is there a way to tell before i buy one?

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

This change happened when the 3G came out (iPod Touch 2G also)

They changed the charging and took away charging via Firewire pins (I think)

you need to find a charger that is 3G/2G iPod Touch compatible

3. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

This was a well publicized issue when the 3G came out. The 2G could charge on the old "firewire" charging pins/voltage/whatever but the 3G can not. The 3G charging circuitry requires a little bit more power than firewire outputs. USB 2.0 outputs plenty though so the 3G just uses that power source method.

Anyway what it boils down to is that you need a charger the provides full power. I have no idea how to tell the difference other than to look for iPhone 3G support or something. I would be careful buying any older products targeting iPods. Even Apple's own older universal docks would not charge the 3G. Personally I'd just make sure I could return whatever I tried, regardless of the support claims.

4. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

That's kind of weird, cause I can charge it off of my 2G's wall adapter and cable. I guess it doesn't use the FW pins?

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

The wall adaptor/cable is standard for all devices and charge via usb

Car Charges/HiFi Docks etc originally used the firewire pins to charge