3ivx expired

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Jun 3, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

hi

unfortunately most of my quicktimes are plastered with 3ivx expired graphic and this is the first time it happens.

since i've been using os-x (tiger 10.4) and that is a few years now quicktime never got this message (obviously it was playing 3ivx codecs all the time too).

and i've got perian installed.

how come this now happened? does it have to do with 10.5.3, anyone else experienced that problem?

2. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

I just updated to 10.5.4 and got the expired message for 3ivx. Prior to today it had been working with Quicktime Pro for years! I also have Perian installed. I downloaded and re-installed the latest 3ivx. But still get the expired message.

What a pain is the arse.

Any ideas to get around this? Or anyone know why this has happened?

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Perian.

It seems to be Perian's fault. Not sure how to resolve it and still be able to play 3ivx content; but manually uninstalling 3ivx fixed it for me.

(I was annoyed that 3ivx had taken over all H.264 content. For a DEcoder, I don't care which one I use. Apple's default is fine with me. I only care when ENcoding.)

4. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

No .avi are playing in QT now.

I'll reset and see what happens. I uninstalled and reinstalled but...nada.

5. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

Hmmm, well I ended up removing 3ivx and Perian and now QT Pro plays all my AVIs fine. But, I guess I'll run into problems when ENcoding now? Is this due to some incompatibility between Perian 1.1 and OS X 10.5.4? What can I do?

6. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

Now I've re-installed Perian 1.1 and QT pro still plays back avis well. I'm just going to avoid 3ivx for now and hopefully I'll still be able to do everything that I need to do with QT.