3LG 4UM95C-P - HDMI, Displayport or Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbdubs, Aug 12, 2015.

1. macbdubs macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just bought the 34UM95C-P, thinking it was the 34UM95-P, which would have included Thunderbolt ports had I not made the wrong purchase. DOH!

Now I have to decide whether I should return it just so I can run it through my MacBook Pro Retina display via Thunderbolt. Curious to what advantages their are by doing so?

Alternatively, I can just keep the display and run it off the HDMI port, or I could use a Thunderbolt to Displayport converter. If I do either of these outputs, what do I lose?

Been reviewing threads but can't seem to find anything other then HDMI only supports 50hz and not 60hz like Thunderbolt or Displayport.

If I return it I will have to cover shipping and $30 upgrade to the thunderbolt version (hopefully not a restocking fee). Thoughts?

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Right now, since I am housesitting and I work from home, I am connecting my macbook pro to a 27 inch samsung monitor via a thunderbolt to HDMI cable and have no issues. You can just buy one of those to connect to your monitor via you thunderbolt port.

3. macbdubs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I was speaking more towards this particular monitor which has some interesting capabilities and whether I'd be losing anything by not leveraging the integrated Thunderbolt port in the monitor I should have purchased. My macbook pro has both HDMI and Thunderbolt, so if I keep this monitor I could go either Thunderbolt to DisplayPort Or HDMI to HDMI.

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I think the following link will be able to help you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204154

5. macbdubs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yes, at a high-level it helps.

My real question is specific to this display and whether I'm going to lack resolution, performance, etc, with the lack of ThunderBolt to Thunderbolt, and by using HDMI or ThunderBolt to HDMI.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The thunderbolt means you can use the screen as a dock with external HDD's etc connected to the screen not your mac. Without it you can only get picture and sound accross over DP1.2.