3M V.S. 6M L2 cache

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mobile23, Mar 10, 2008.

1. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

hi all, i am new to this forum.... i am thinking of getting the new 15" Penryn MacBook Pro. i know that the high-end version will give me faster CPU and better graphics card (more ram). but these are not my concern. i am more worried about the L2 cache. is it going to make a big different? when will i see the advantage of having 6M L2 cache? i am currently using a 2.33GHz C2D 17" MBP with 4M L2 cache. will a 3M / 6M L2 cache be a lot slower / faster? thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For most purposes the cache makes almost no difference. Also if you're basing your buying decision on the cache it's not worth $500 difference. The processor speed is just as good and the extra VRAM is useless. Even if you're running a dual monitor set-up, 128MB VRAM should be enough.

If anything the new cache is 32-way and in turn it's actually slower than the older Merom cache.

I'd say the low end is adequate for 99% of the things you do.

3. Animalk macrumors 6502

Welcome to the boards :)

Please use the Seach feature as it can answer many, if not most, of your questions.

Here is a thread discussing this very issue. There are many other threads that come up when searching for this topic.

Hope this helps.

4. mobile23 thread starter macrumors member

mobile23

thanks for the super quick replies guys. i just learnt something new today. and i know what to get now.... hopefully will see my new MBP next week :D