3MB L2 cache vs 6MB L2 cache

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thirtytwopaths, Oct 14, 2008.

1. thirtytwopaths macrumors member

So the new macbook pros specify either a 2.4ghz cpu with a 3MB L2 cache and a high end version with 2.53ghz and a 6MB L2 cache. In order to get the higher end version, apple wants you to cough up $500. So the question is, how much of a difference is a 6MB cache compared to a 3MB cache going to make? Is it worth $500 extra?

2. mlmorg macrumors member

I can't say how much of a difference the 6mb cache will make -- this may give you an idea:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3246&p=12

The fact is though, it's not a straight $500 difference. If you add on the 4gb of ram and the 320gb HD to the low end mbp it's actually more like a $250 difference. So the real question is, is $250 worth a 512mb gpu (up from 256mb), 2.53ghz proc (up from 2.4), and a 6mb L2 cache. It's a close call but considering these are things you can't upgrade in the future, I'm personally considering going for it...

3. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Yea, once I priced everything out I realized the difference was about 200 including student discounts so I decided to buy the high-end model.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's still all about the clock speed but 133 MHz isn't much to write home about.

5. thirtytwopaths thread starter macrumors member

ehh..i'm skeptical about whether or not that extra 3MB is worth $200 of my money. In the end you are really paying to future proof the computer and I dont think that extra amount will really make a difference. Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you might see a 4% average increase at most?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No computer is future proof. It's better to spend less money on computers more often.

7. mlmorg macrumors member

if you don't care about a better graphics card then yes it's not worth it

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This question has already been asked before when the Penryns first came out. The answers haven't changed.

9. marvel2 macrumors 6502

The answer is always buy what you can afford. If you are looking for value for your money, it would be the base model MBP.

10. Chic0 macrumors 6502

hmmmm I was about ask same question. I ended up ordering the 2.53 model last night, but with the 250gb 7200rpm HD. This came to £1717

If I got the base model, I would have upgraded to 4gb RAM and opted for faster HD. I worked out the difference to be £180.

I am still thinking I should maybe cancel and reorder only because I dont even think I'll make that much use of the 512mb GPU. But at same time, I want to get as good as I can afford becuase my intention is to keep this laptop for 3-4years. I would have waited until next year to buy one but my Powerbook G4 was on its last legs after my cousin decided to pour coke onto it few months ago :-s

Suppose what I saying is that its a lot of money to fork out for a laptop, but I suppose in long term it will be worth it.........hopefully

11. D-Love macrumors regular

This is the thread I am reading about now to help me make my decision. The thread title was precisely what I was researching so I do appreciate this thread. Its not like the forum is getting overwhelmed with this topic, why do some people feel the need to always try to play forum police and belittle those who ask a direct question on a topic not discussed a whole bunch? :confused:

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I cancelled my order and just got a base model, it doe the job fine, for what I will do and £180 is still a 1 1/2 days wages for me. I got everything for £1465 including printer, apple care, ipod, ipod arm band and printer.

13. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

like someone said above me, no computer is future proof. its actually much wiser to spend on what you presently need than buy what you "think" you'll need in the future. afterall, electronics LOSE value at snowballish rates the minute they hit the shelves.

also, we aren't talking about extra ports here. i would gladly pay an extra $200 for another firewire port or hell even a usb port. this is mostly a performance based boost that really isnt all that great unless you move up to the even pricier 2.8 Ghz

also, isn't nehalem supposed to destroy the need for L2 cache?

14. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Whether Nehalem removes the need for L2 cache is completely irrelevant to this question. Whether it does, or it doesn't, the OP will not be using that processor. Therefore, the difference between 3MB and 6MB is a legitimate question worth considering. After all, the software which Nehalem will be processing can still make use of L2 cache. I'm not trying to be an ass, but this may confuse some readers. ;)

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

6mb of cache FTW!

Well I had the previous gen 2.4ghz mbp with the 3mb of cache and the 2.5ghz of previous gen mbp with the 6mb of cache... the difference was huge, no more color wheel and multitasking was alot faster.

16. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

Stick with the base model it's alot better for the price I made a mistake buying the high end model not much differnce

17. tbae12 macrumors member

if you don't care about graphics OR firewire you can always go with macbooks. they are a lot cheaper.

18. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

I say stick with the base MBP, that's what I'm doing...... (once it arrives) :D
    There's really not that much difference between the 3MB and 6MB, save the money!

19. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Someone posted a link above that spec'd the two models. I suggest you look at that, but rather than looking at the percentages, look at the applications where performance improvement was greatest. Would those be programs that you use often? A small performance improvement - say, of 2 or 3 seconds - can make a huge difference if you rely primarily on photoshop (random example).

Again, it boils down to your needs. So, take the (conflicting) advice of everyone on this forum with a grain of salt. Go home, sit down, and ask yourself what you will be using this computer for, and what will be required to get you there. Then, my friend, you will have your answer.