3MB L2 or 6MB L2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Penguinwrangler, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

Okay, so here's the question: Is the upgrade to the 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo with the 6MB L2 cache worth the upgrade from the 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo with 3MB L2 cache. It's my understanding that the size of the cache can make a huge difference in actual performance, so I'm thinking that that, along with the larger memory of the GPU in that model, would make it worth the upgrade. Would appreciate any differences of opinion or confirmation that it's worth going to the top of the line if I can.

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Be more specific. What are you doing with you computer? Is your budget limited? What's the price difference?

Buy the best one you can afford

3. Penguinwrangler thread starter macrumors regular

My budget is limited but I haven't purchased a new computer in three years and I quite literally live off of my computer, so I can justify the upgrade in this case. I use my laptop for everything from video editing on OS X, 3D CAD and rendering with Bootcamp through windows, to gaming. I guess I'm just looking for a little explanation as to how significant the 2x larger L2 cache really is.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You'll be fine with lower specced one but if you can afford better one, I would go for that