3rd 13" MacBook Pro that has 9C9E display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Feb 16, 2010.

1. kolax macrumors G3

Well, I used all three lifelines in the Apple Store today. Bought a 13" MBP and right away noticed the colours on the dock looked washed out, and overall the screen lacked vibrance. Went back the store, spoke to the guy that sold me it and after comparing the display models to mine (they were 9C9F's I think) he said they could exchange for another one. And bummer, that one also had the 9C9E display. He then said they could only exchange it one more time.. and the third one also had the 9C9E display. I had no choice but to leave the store..

Call me exceptionally picky if you want, but the vibrance on the 9C9E display is pretty poor compared to the others. I noticed it right away, and I'd really rather get one of the better display models.

The guys at the store did what they could and was great I got a third attempt. They said that the whole batch was probably the "9C9E display you speak of".

Now, I've realised that I don't need the top 13" MBP as I'm investing in an iMac, so wishing I had used that third attempt to swap it for the 2.26GHz model instead, which might not have had the 9C9E screen.

Anyway, here's what I want to do. Exchange the 2.5GHz model for the 2.26GHz model. Thing is, I've used all three lifelines, and the Apple Store has already gone out of their way to try and please me. Would calling AppleCare and explaining the situation help?

Anyone been in a similar scenario?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just enjoy the machine you have.

There is no set number of "lifelines" heck, I've never even heard them called that. Anyways you certainly can go to the well too many times. If you're happy with the display and performance. Leave it at that, why downgrade to a slower machine. Especially after the trouble and headaches you went through to get a display that you felt was perfect.

What happens if you do another exchange but get a display you're unhappy with, how many more times will you need to try to return it.

Be content and enjoy your new baby :)

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have you tried calibrating the display with the built-in color calibration tool (System Preferences-->Display-->Color-->Calibrate)?

If you haven't done that, you can't complain about the screen colors IMO.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Tried calibrating - I've followed all the 9C9E discussions (those here and on the Apple forums).

And regarding the downgrade - I'll really just be using this laptop for low level stuff; the iMac will be the power horse in my setup. I went for the top model just for the 4GB of RAM and the 250GB hard drive. I won't really need the 4GB's of RAM, and I have a 250GB hard drive I can stick in.

You're right about what if the low end model has the same display. Right now, the extra money from getting the lower model would help in getting cash together for the iMac.

If the lower end model did have the 9C9E display, I guess I'd just have to live with it. But I'm unsure on whether I'd be allowed to swap for the lower model after having exchanged two already.

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

if you are interested in the unibody macbook, check out the review I wrote while I had one. I actually found the screen difficult to live with because of the LED's, but the quality was very good.

I did a lot of research into the panals being used before purchase, and found that the 9CD1 and 9CBE were being used quite a lot at that time.

I know that the 9CBE was also (in November) being used on some macbook pros (I tested in my local store)

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Or you can go to a different Apple store if you have 2 near you like I do. =)

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Going to give AppleCare a call tomorrow, see what I'm able to do.

Only 2 in Scotland, and the other one is 3 hour train journey away.