Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlicalsi91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
Long story short, this is my 3rd MacBook Pro in 24 hours due to the same possibly software issue.

When I hit restart or shutdown, the dock freezes halfway down and the screen goes dim for a few seconds, then shuts off. When I restart and type in my password, the status bar starts loading, then the screen goes black while a white status bar appears, and finally I get onto my desktop.

The tech at the apple store said it happens but is not common. This is my 3rd in 24 hours that is doing this. Should I just keep it and see if the next software update fixes the bug, or return?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9646.PNG
    IMG_9646.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9647.PNG
    IMG_9647.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Reactions: El-Paso

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
If you have an issue that continues to be replicated on 3 different machines i would continue returning them. Also i would watch out going in public because with your luck you very well will die the minute you walk out the door.

Reactions: nlicalsi91

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I have had this little ugly glitch as well since the MBP 2016, I remember that some speculated it was due to disk encryption (can’t find the thread now, sorry). It’s still there in my new 2018 after a completely clean install, so at this point I just don’t care anymore.

It’s a software issue anyway, so returning the computer won’t fix it. If you have no other problem with your machine, move on...

Reactions: nlicalsi91

nlicalsi91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2018
If you have an issue that continues to be replicated on 3 different machines i would continue returning them. Also i would watch out going in public because with your luck you very well will die the minute you walk out the door.

I am having no luck with these Pro's. It froze up for about 3 minutes along with the track bar then shut off, couldn't get it started for about another 2 minutes. Maybe if I walk out the door and go splat I won't have to put up with these issues LOL

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
Long story short, this is my 3rd MacBook Pro in 24 hours due to the same possibly software issue.

When I hit restart or shutdown, the dock freezes halfway down and the screen goes dim for a few seconds, then shuts off. When I restart and type in my password, the status bar starts loading, then the screen goes black while a white status bar appears, and finally I get onto my desktop.

The tech at the apple store said it happens but is not common. This is my 3rd in 24 hours that is doing this. Should I just keep it and see if the next software update fixes the bug, or return?

Thank you!

I've seen this on 3 Macbook pro's. Two 15" 2018s and a mid 2017. I am pretty sure it is just a software bug. There must be more people on here with the same problem. I've seen it so many times on my devices. Note: I do use Filevault.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It's a software bug, seen the same on my and other MBPs. No reason to exchange or return over this, just need to wait for the next OS update and hopefully Apple addresses it.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
It's a software bug, seen the same on my and other MBPs. No reason to exchange or return over this, just need to wait for the next OS update and hopefully Apple addresses it.
So in the meantime have an unusable $2000 machine lying around? NO THANK YOU!

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
So in the meantime have an unusable $2000 machine lying around? NO THANK YOU!

Can you explain how it's unusable because of this? You mentioned "and finally I get onto my desktop", from your description and what I've experienced, it just UI bug(s) during restarting or booting but has no impact on functionality.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
Could someone elaborate on why this could be happening and what sort of settings and applications you have installed on your MBP? I have a couple of MacBook Pros/Macs and none of them have this issue.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Can you explain how it's unusable because of this? You mentioned "and finally I get onto my desktop", from your description and what I've experienced, it just UI bug(s) during restarting or booting but has no impact on functionality.

You must be confused. This issue isn't affecting me. I was merely giving my opinion to the OP. Any type of issue that is causing the computer to not boot up or shut down correctly in not acceptable. If its a software only issue why is this affecting only some units and not others? I would keep returning it until I got one that worked correctly. Im not waiting for apple to issue an update to fix this.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Why would this be on some 2018 MBP and not others. I have never seen this on mine.
No idea honestly, I can tell for sure that this glitch has been around since 2016 and (from what I remember) can only occur if you have FileVault activated, but no idea on how one could reproduce it. I have seen it on 2 different machines and across 3 different OS clean installs.

It does not impact functionality in any way, btw. When the glitch pops up, the machine still boots up and shuts down perfectly. As weird as it is, it's just that, a graphical glitch.

El-Paso

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019

Thank you!

Hi, Can You tell me, please, have you solved/fixed your problem with dock freeze while turn off/restart your MacBook?
I would greatly appreciate any reply to my question!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.