3RD 30" monitor, how to run?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Techhie, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I'm going to pick up the 3rd 30" panel tomorrow, now I need some suggestions on how to run it. I can only run one on this current GT 120, and I have the other sitting in the closet :(

Should I go for the GTX 285/GT 120 combo, or the Radeon 470/GT 120 w/ $100 dual-link adapter(and throw my conscience out the window for paying that much for an adapter)? Apple's proprietary BS is not making this easy :mad:

Even when I get close to just spending the money for a solution, the fact that new GPUs are right around the corner scares me.

Suggestions?

2. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

If you have a windows Vista or 7 boot you may have problems when running 2 different video cards, may get away with it if they both use the same drivers. I think OSX will handle the two different cards but I've not tried. Maybe someone that knows for sure will chime in.

3. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

4. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

I've been looking at 8800GTs on eBay, the look to be the cheapest way to run the displays with acceptable performance.

5. Techhie thread starter macrumors 65816

Techhie

Because that would only let me use a second 30" without buying the $100 adapter. Plus, its performance is a fail.