3rd freakin' time this has happened in a month.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcosco08, May 8, 2011.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

This past month, (including april), my MBP has been screwing with me. About one day every week, finder locks up and goes unresponsive, then I can't boot from OS X, then I have to go to my win 7 partition and retrieve my files. Format, install, recover
    Rinse and repeat.

Odd thing is, only my OS X partition is the one screwing up. Signs of a bad drive? I'm going to the :apple: store soon

2. mape2k macrumors regular

why don't you make a fresh install without recovering and see if the problem persists? If not, I would suggest that some user-related program is causing the trouble and not a faulty HDD.

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had this problem, took my MBP to a Premium Reseller they sent it away "fixed" it but dropped it somewhere along the route. I ended up with a new computer so I don't really now if a new hard drive solved it however they did replace the HD reporting it faulty. For your information the HD that got replaced was a SSD

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

from the sound of it I would say bad/corrupt sectors on your hard drive. If you have access to tech tool pro or some other deep HD diagnostic, I would give that a try. Disk utility usually does not see deep rooted sector corruption

5. KazeKrazy macrumors member

KazeKrazy

Sounds like a Windows sort of problem -cough cough-

6. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I'm confused as to how Windows would be the problem. Anyways, after the first time this happened, I formatted, reinstalled and then placed just my important files back (xCode, pictures, music, applications). One week later, boom. Same thing happened.

Also, I should've pointed out that I get the "Invalid sibling link error" when Disk utility attempts to repair the disk.

7. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

8. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Heh, maybe I can push apple for an *upgrade* :p

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It's the correct thing to do. Keep AppleCare informed of what is going on and what you're doing about it.

Although, they'll probably tell you to reformat and reinstall everything from scratch rather than restoring from backup. Could be there's something screwy that you keep restoring, and after some days' use, blooey.

Having said that, the Apple Store can and should run some diagnostics to see if they can tease out more info about the problem. These are yet early days for SSDs and your experience may represent the bleeding edge of a support issue they will want to know more about.

10. lilcosco08, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Yeah,most of the files that I retrieve are corrupted. I haven't even been restoring from a backup though. Just the music,pictures, Xcode

11. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

No luck with disk warrior D:

12. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe bill gates wanted all Mac part of macs to go corrupt...

13. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I have been playing Portal 2 though

Damnit GLaDOS!

14. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Does yours display a loading bar which freezes? When mine went wrong i would hold alt and it wouldn't say Macintosh HD but EFI Boot, i was able to fix it by reformatting but it would go funny again a couple of weeks later.

15. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Pretty much that but just in an endless cycle over a week