3rd gen Apple TV no sound

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jaboc, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jaboc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 3rd gen apple tv that has randomly stopped outputting sound. It worked yesterday and has no been touched since, but today no sound. I have tried using home libraries on two different computers and the radio. So it doesn't appear to be the computer stream, but the device itself.

I tried turning the device off for a period, switching every sound setting in the menu (dolby on/off, output to 16-bit). I switched the port that the HDMI was connected to as well. No luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. braddicted2mac macrumors member

braddicted2mac

TRy the known working HDMI cable first, next if possible try an Optical cable, Is it plugged into a receiver? is any other HDMI ports working? Try a new port if all else fails take it back to the store where you bought it ! Hopefully they will exchange it !

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

4. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

This happened to my Apple TV 2nd Gen a couple months ago, I looked it up and found this which worked:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4120131?tstart=0

You have to go into the Apple TV Settings, Audio & Video, and turn Dolby digital to off.

It's some kind of bug, it happened to mine after an iOS :apple:TV update.

5. cashinstinct macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the link.

I had to turn off Digital Audio, put Apple TV to sleep and wake it up...

I just received the Apple TV 3rd gen refurbished from Apple, so I was surprised there was no sound at all...