3rd gen better than 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rwm514, Feb 3, 2010.

1. rwm514 macrumors member

Getting ready to buy 2 of these for our 7 year old and 11 year old kids. Is it worth the extra $15 a piece for the newer generation? Cant really seem to find much info on the differences. Thx

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

What size?

the 2nd and 3rd 8gb are the same hardware wise - one comes with 3.0 and the other doesn't. That is a $5 to upgrade too.

The 32 contains the newer hardware, and comes with the headphones with Mic ($30 to buy the apple ones later).

I own a 3rd gen 32 and a 2nd gen 8gb. I will be buying another 3rd gen 32 - it really is faster. I figure too that the newer games that will be coming out will push the hardware limits (they have the Touch instead of a DS, so a lot of games). This way i future proof it more.

But between the 8gb? I'd buy a 2nd gen refurb from Apple.com (well, i'd actually go for the 16gb).

3. rwm514 thread starter macrumors member

OK great thx, thinking of the 8gb for the 7 y/o and maybe the 32 for the 11 year old

so the 8gb is basically the same?

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The 8 GB models are functionally identical unless you're going to get into some serious low-level hardware stuff (i.e. jailbreaking). I doubt an 8 year old will notice a difference ;)

According to Apple's marketing, the 3G 32 GB will be about 50% faster than the 2G 32 GB, and most independent tests have shown this to be pretty much true:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-touch-3g-speed-comparison-videos-online/

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-between-ipod-touch-3g-and-ipod-touch-2g.html

Hope this helps!

5. Mr.Goodbar macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i think that a 8gb will suffice for both kids. A 11 year old will load it up with more games than music, so unless you plan to load movies on the touch, just opt for 8gb.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd get them both the same version of ipod touch, just so it won't cause jealousy later on. Back on topic, I'd get the 3rd gen, since jailbreaking won't really be an issue in this. The 3rd gen's only downfall is the less battery life in music playing. The processor makes a dramatic effect when playing 3d games ^_^