3rd Gen iPad charging, wall socket vs USB 3.0

MrDOHC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Brisaben, QLD
Woo, first thread :p

i am picking up my first iPad tomorrow night, and i have recently gotten a motherboard with USB 3.0 on it. Has anyone charged one via USB 3.0 and timed it so far? i know my iP4s charges much quicker, but this is a different kettle o fish.

Thanks

Phil

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Ipad says not charging connected USB 3, it could be trickle charging but it is definitely not going be faster than wall charging.

My new iPad took over 6 hours to charge from 0 to 100% on wall charging by the way.

MrDOHC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Brisaben, QLD
Ipad says not charging connected USB 3, it could be trickle charging but it is definitely not going be faster than wall charging.

My new iPad took over 6 hours to charge from 0 to 100% on wall charging by the way.
I was more wondering cause my wife will be using a laptop next to me and i was wondering if i happen to be running low, can i keep running it while plugged into the lappy

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Woo, first thread :p

i am picking up my first iPad tomorrow night, and i have recently gotten a motherboard with USB 3.0 on it. Has anyone charged one via USB 3.0 and timed it so far? i know my iP4s charges much quicker, but this is a different kettle o fish.

Thanks

Phil
If you charge your new iPad 3 while you sleep you will not need to use the wife's "lappy". The battery lasts a long time and should last you a good day of use and THEN some.