iPad 3rd Gen iPad + iOS 8 = super sluggish?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 19, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

I updated my 3rd Gen iPad yesterday and wow is it sluggish. Safari is very slow and even going back to the home screen or just about anything.

Is everyone pretty much experiencing the same thing or should I do a restore?

2. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the iPad 3 was a cow even when running iOS 5
    i ditched the iPad 3 a while ago. i highly suggest you do too. there is a sucker born every day on ebay and someone will buy it from you. then i would go and get a refurb of anything at the iPad 4 level and up

3. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

I would have upgraded by now but I use the Brydge keyboard with mine and I love it. They only very recently came out with one for the iPad Air but I figure I should probably wait until the next iPad is released to get a new iPad. Hopefully they keep the form factor of the current Air so then I can buy a new Brydge as they seem to be way slow at releasing updating keyboards.

4. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I've used my friends and it seems just fine on iOS 8?

That may be due to the fact that I still regularly use an ipad 1 on iOS 5 though which is nearly impossible to use now.

5. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Never was a fan of the iPad 3. Sold it pretty much as soon as I got it. Performance always seemed worse than other iPads compared to the 3. I'm not surprised by this at all, but that's me personally.

6. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

you can get some stellar deals on the iPad 4. you can still use your existing keyboard

7. rapicell macrumors regular

I don't really see much of a performance hit on mine, but perhaps my daily use isn't too intensive if you're noticing all this.

8. gbredneck macrumors member

+1 for not seeing any real performance issues on my iPad 3, all seems good here.

9. gpat macrumors 6502a

Trust me, iPad 1 has to be worse.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

I've never had any issues with my iPad 3 and it's still running 5.1.1 and it has always been a silky smooth experience. I would think 10 times before installing iOS 7 or 8 on an iPad 3.

11. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

It is. ;)

I'm actually surprised how well my iPad 3 is handling iOS 8. I plan to get rid it and get an iPhone 6 Plus, though.

12. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

Haha well of course. I meant compared to the recent models of the time ;)

But hey, you speak the truth!

13. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Mine is absolutely terrible. Lags and crashes everywhere even with a clean install through iTunes.

14. kevink2 macrumors 65816

IOS 7 worked fine on mine.

When it first came out, it was sluggish in some programs. Such as zinio. But this cleaned up over time, as programs were upgraded to support retina.

But I've been able to get ahead of it on several occasions today. And noticing that several programs weren't running right. They may have to be upgraded.

I deleted these programs, hoping that a fresh install with clean data would work better. But I think Apple's servers were bombarded with IOS 8 upgraded a couple days ago, and all the new iPhones connecting. THe programs wouldn't download.