3rd gen iPad won't hold LTE connection; keeps dropping down to 4g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Errk!, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

I live in metro Detroit and we just got AT&T LTE a couple weeks ago. I live in an area where I have 5 bars of LTE. My iPhone 5 can maintain LTE connectivity with no problem; signal strength is not an issue. But my iPad will drop it after a few minutes or so and go back to 4g, even when the iPhone 5 is still on LTE. I've reset network settings and it makes no difference. If I turn airplane mode on then off or cellular data or LTE, it will connect back to LTE right away but drops it again after a few seconds or minutes.

I've looked around and can't tell if this is a common issue or if there is a fix. Any ideas?

2. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

As far as I know, the signal bars are for 4G, the LTE just appears when in range. You might be on the edge of a LTE coverage area, so the difference in antenna design might be the cause of your iPad dropping LTE while the iPhone holding.

3. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not, I'm right in the middle of it as evidenced by the full connection on my iPhone 5, like I mentioned. And I've never heard that the signal strength indicator stops being a signal strength indicator when on LTE.