3rd Gen iPod, completely dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KingDDD, Jun 17, 2007.

1. KingDDD macrumors newbie

KingDDD

My friend dropped off his 3rd Gen iPod (later 20GB ed.) to fix, but I didn't expect it to be this bad!

I plugged it into the wall with a recent small transformer, and absolutely nothing happens. No red buttons, no display, nothing.

I tried it on a windows box USB for a couple minutes and same thing.

It's been a while since I used a third gen, how are you supposed to wake these guys up again?

[​IMG]

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

He's not saying that 3G iPods are dead, just his friend's :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try plugging it in with the wall charger and holding menu + play. If that doesn't work, try prev/forward/center.

4. KingDDD thread starter macrumors newbie

KingDDD

Dang, neither of those combinations work.

Do I need to replace the motherboard?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're comfortable, open it and make sure everything is physically still connected -- sounds like a loose connector. The scan thing should work even if the hard drive is completely fried.

6. KingDDD thread starter macrumors newbie

KingDDD

I opened it up, the battery was connected of course, it is a molex style connector. I reseated it just in case.

The hard drive ribbon connection seemed to be fine, but I reseated it just in case.

I put it back together. The only thing that could still possibly be disconnected is the 1.8" to the ribbon itself, but I doubt that would prevent it from powering up, it would just give me a sad face.

When I plug it into the wall it should see some evidence of power, even if there was no battery or hard drive connected, right?

I'm thinking a cap blew or something and the board is dead.

7. Dommo macrumors newbie

I signed up just to reply to this thread, so, hello there!

Basically, 3rd gen iPod's reqire a firewire connection to charge, they DO NOT charge by USB, AT ALL! This is why your PC connection + new style USB wall charger connection do nothing.

Try with a firewire charger and see what happens :)