3rd gen ipod keeps freezing!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by daveman235, Feb 16, 2008.

1. daveman235 macrumors member

So my 3rd gen ipod keeps freezing on me. The battery's always charged all the way. The screen will just freeze and stay on until the battery dies. When you the push the buttons, you still hear the clicking sound.. This is really pissing me off. The software is updated to the newest version.

I don't know what to do. Im too broke to afford a new one! Anyone know what i should do ? All help is appreciated ya'll!! :(

2. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

plug your iPod into your computer / open iTunes / click on the iPod icon in iTunes and click Restore

you'll have to upload your music again but this should work 99% of the time.

3. daveman235 thread starter macrumors member

So i did this last night before i went to work. Took it with me and it was freezing every 10 mins or so. I had to constantly restart my ipod using the menu and middle button....What the hell?

I'm too broke for a new ipod!! HELP!!!!!!!:(

4. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

if you've tried restoring the original factory setting in itunes and it still has problems I would take it to an apple store. if it's less than a year old they should fix it without cost or you can call apple and they will provide you with the info on where to mail it. they'll even send you a mailing package if you ask for one.

hope this helps

5. daveman235 thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking of taking it in, but do you think they'll give me the time of day if its not under warranty? Its the third gen ipod i bought 3 or 4 years ago. But up until the whole freezing thing, its been working with no problems at all.

6. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

they'll tell you what it will cost to fix and you can decide from there whether it's worth it.

if it's 3 or 4 years old it may be a problem with the hard disk itself. 3 to 4 years of an ipod getting banged around is a pretty good run. The newer technology is better at taking scraps then the older stuff. it may be minor enough for them to fix or it may just be time to get a new one. you'll have to wait to see what they say the problem is. Good luck, hope it works out.

7. Spievy macrumors regular

You are not going to want to hear this...

I have 3G ipod I bought new 4 years ago (i think). About 2 years ago I started having the EXACT same problem. I did everything to try and fix it software wise. Nothing would work so I replaced the motherboard and that fixed the problem for about a year or so. Then it happened again, same problem. I didn't fix it this time, so now it sits in a drawer.:mad:

8. daveman235 thread starter macrumors member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:eek:

9. Spievy macrumors regular

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.

I mean there is a chance that we have the same symptoms, and COULD be unrelated problems. Hopefully someone else has an idea of what the problem could be.

Anyone???

10. daveman235 thread starter macrumors member

so i just realized i have the 4th gen ipod...not 3rd.....

so anyone have these symptoms with a 4th gen?

anyone?