3rd Gen iPod touch home button issue?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dark-saito, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dark-saito macrumors regular

Alright... so i bought an iPod touch 3rd Gen towards the end of September but had an issue with the home button. It would sporadically decide that one click meant 2, and sending me to the Music screen. Deciding this was a hardware issue, I returned it and got another one.

Initially, the new iPod worked great. There were no bugs, it worked fine. At the time, my router had died, so i was stuck with the firmware 3.1.1. HOWEVER, as SOON as i got the firmware for 3.1.2, I noticed the iPod acted funny with the home button issues.

Is this just me? Anyone else have this issue?

2. MikeTheRocker96 macrumors member

MikeTheRocker96

3. dark-saito thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed you have a 2nd Generation. I had 3.1.2 on my iPod touch 1st Gen and I didn't have these problems. If it is a problem, I think it would be specific to the 3rd Gen. Thanks for your input though :)

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm. Now that you mention it, my 3rd gen touch would occasionary give me the music control popup when I thought i just pushed the home button once. I'd just assumed I was clumsy and pushed it twice instead of once. Doesn't happen enough to be overly annoying, though.

5. tenand2indy macrumors member

I've had my 3rd Gen 32GB with 3.1.2 on it since September and have not had this happen at all.

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I have a third-gen Touch and have noticed this too! I can't seem to reproduce it reliably, but I know there's no way I've pushed the button twice most of the time. Sometimes it even thinks I triple-clicked and I get the accessibility controls! At first I thought might have something to do with jailbreaking, but I restored and it's still doing it every now and then. There was a period of a couple days when it happened almost every time I pushed the button. This never happened with my first-gen touch….

7. battlekid macrumors regular

8. jreamsnyder macrumors member

Me too. I've got a 3rd gen with the newest software, and have noticed it several times.

Not too big an issue, and I doubt I could reproduce the problem in front of someone who cares, so I guess I'll just live with it. But your definately not the only one.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Nope, it's just you. Check your home button settings.

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

I can't seem to find the "Randomly Open Music App on Single Press of Home Button" setting.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

Same. I get this behavior pretty often if I exit Safari or Mail under certain conditions. Not a big deal though.

12. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Has anyone with this issue taken their iPod to Apple yet? Mine seems to be getting worse every day, sometimes taking three or four tries before it correctly registers a single press, and other times not registering any press at all.

13. dark-saito thread starter macrumors regular

No, but i think it would be a good idea to email Apple and see if this is a known problem with their 3rd gen iPod touches.

Glad to know it's not just me. Thanks for the responses guys :)

P.S. Your "I can't seem to find the "Randomly Open Music App on Single Press of Home Button" setting." made me lol.

14. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Took my Touch in to the Genius Bar today; the guy at the counter looked at it for a minute and gave me a new (well, refurbished) one. He didn't say anything about it being a known issue, but they're apparently at least willing to take it seriously.

15. dark-saito thread starter macrumors regular

I wish the solution were that easy :| I already took mine in once and I don't want to set my iPod up again.

And there is always a chance I get a defective one. Again.