3rd Gen Touch doesn't locate, but 1st gen did

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bldmn, Oct 10, 2009.

1. bldmn macrumors member

I purchased the new iPod Touch, 3rd generation, and currently own both 1st and 3rd gen. When using a Twitter client, my 1st gen is able to give me "Nearby" tweets, but when I try on the 3rd gen, sitting in the same chair, I get a "could not locate you" error.

Any thoughts as to why my older Touch can "Find me", but my newer one can't?

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Might be obvious, but do you have "location services" turned on?

Settings->General->Location services

I have now exhausted my ability to help! LOL!!

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

4. bldmn thread starter macrumors member

Yes, location services is on. WiFi is also on. Funny.. same settings on both Touch's, as far as I can see. But the old Touch finds me, new one doesn't.

Any other advice?

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm all out of it - i don't use location services (i turned it on once and it couldn't find me - and that is good, because i don't want to be found! LOL!!).

It is strange - and hopefully someone might have some ideas.

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Have you got your 3rd gen in a different case than the 1st? I've noticed certain cases keep WiFi from getting a very good signal.

7. bldmn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that suggestion, but I took the ipod out of its case and it still didn't work. I do have a thought, though... It seems to me that the old iPod might be using old location info, from when I was in another part of the city. On both devices, when I click the location button in Maps, it says it can't find me. But Twitter apps *do* find me with the old iPod. I think a month ago I was in a different part of my city, and clicking on the location button in Maps found me. Perhaps the Twitter client is defaulting to using that data. Does anybody know if that sounds like a reasonable explanation?

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It does sound like the "why".

There is a website that you can to to register yourself if you want to be "found". I don't have any desire to register my router, but you might.

I can't remember the website though, it should pop up on a search.

Here, this might help!

http://saunderslog.com/2009/06/26/skyhook-how-iphone-os-3-0-delivers-location-services/

To submit: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

9. bldmn thread starter macrumors member