3rd Gen Touch. It's a Zii!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4DThinker, Aug 26, 2009.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Ok, maybe not. But every wishlist I've seen for the Touch wants GPS, camera, memory slot, and so on. Creative is making a new device, but mysteriously not selling them under their own label. 3.5" screen. Multitouch, Accelerometer, Wifi... Sounds like a Touch to me.
    [​IMG]
    Yea, I know. Apple's version will be thinner and run OS 10.5 instead of Android or Plaszma. Would have been simpler though. My Zii developer's kit (with a Zii) has been shipped. I should have it the 31st.

2. svndmvn Guest

there have been a few threads on this.
    Some things the competition offers no iPod will ever have. It's also not the first iPod touch looking thing either..

3. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Just like Apple would never make a phone. Just like the Touch will never have a camera lest it "steal sales from the iPhone". Sooner or later the Touch will have every feature. Why? They have to add something each year to keep it interesting. The more hardware they add that is currently found in phones the easier it is for software developers. As soon as the Touch gets a camera then the camera apps made for the iPhone will have an greater market.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Which to developers i would think would be big. The Touch market is bigger than the iPhone market correct? Apple isn't going to get developers to write cool apps that are involved and all that, without those being available to the BIG market.

So while everyone says, "that will take away from iPhone sales" (adding a camera or gps), i don't agree - because adding those makes the apps available to more customers, and gets developers writing more quality apps.

I think what Apple releases in September will tell a lot on where they see it all going with the Touch and iPhone. They tried to keep them separate at first - but then opened the Touch to apps. I'm thinking we will see a Touch that is an iPhone copy without the iPhone.

ANYWAY, hopefully your Zii arrives tomorrow and you enjoy it!

5. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

My Zii made it to Alaska today. Only a few thousand more miles to go via FedEx planes. It should arrive the 31st according to tracking services.

It'll be nice to see how well it stacks up to the next Touch. Even as an early developer's model the Zii should be fun. I'll let everyone know once it's here.

6. buxtone17 macrumors regular

Write up a review once you've played with it.

It has the worst name in the history of technology, but it still looks interesting.

7. svndmvn Guest

I was actually referring to the memory slot, for instance, do you really believe Apple will offer ipods/iPhones with memory slots, removable batteries anytime soon? Will Apple also let you drag and drop songs without iTunes?
    The iPod touch is simply a phoneless iPhone, I would expect it to have a real GPS chip as well, if not this September, the next one. We all know Apple is about Software but it still has to add something to each generation in order for you to want the new thing. The camera was a logical step for the iPod nano for instance, don't see why it wouldn't be on the iPod touch as well.
    One more thing, the iPod touch is meant to be more "entertaining" than the iPhone, in fact it used to have less of a crippled CPU compared to the iphone 2g and 3g. Apple has no reason to be afraid of competition between the iPhone and the iPod touch, one is a Phone..
    Still, my point is that the Zii is not the first iPod touch looking thing that offers "more".

8. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I say hold if your going to buy when Engadget posted a company chart stating that it will have more features Q4

9. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

Since I signed up as a developer to get the Zii and it's SDK, I actually have the PDF documents engadget points to. Yes, some things are being rolled out over time. I wanted one early exactly for that reason, so I could see just how well they would be supporting it with firmware updates and such. It should still be capable of some impressive things when it first arrives. Since they have taken so long shipping them I was informed they'll be sending me a free HDMI output cable to go with it.

I'm not suggesting or expecting the Zii to be better than the next Touch. Apple has a head start and some very creative people working on it. I'll probably get a 3rd gen eventually. Creative has thrown in everything and the kitchen sink, so it appears they don't want to hinder it's potential with deficient hardware. I'm curious how much time it will take developers to really exploit it

10. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

My Zii has shown up, and I've put up a quick review with photos. One thing I missed though was that although it has an SDHC slot none of the apps on board can see it or access media on it. So far it's the most expensive piece of hardware I've bought that does the least.

4D