3rd gen vs 4th get iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Skream, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Skream macrumors member

Besides the retina display and facetime is there anything that the 4th gen does that the 3rd gen can't handle. Found a 3rd gen with 32gb for $130 and thinking about getting it.

2. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Definitely go for that 3rd gen. In fact it handles 3D games better than the 4th anyway. A4 doesn't make much of a difference. Although you do miss out on HD video recording, microphone, gyroscope, speaker grill.

3. Skream thread starter macrumors member

speaker grill? and what are some notable games that need the better gyroscope?

4. rattler macrumors regular

Yes, the new iPod touch has a dedicated speaker port next to the dock connecter, rather than emitting sound from the headphone jack/dock connecter as in the previous generations. As for the gyroscope, it's exclusive to the 4th gen, the previous generations only had an accelerometer. Not many games are optimized to take advantage of the gyro, but a few popular games such as Real Racing and N.O.V.A offer gyroscope support.

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

$130 new? even if used and in good condition, that's a good price. i would grab it.

6. Skream thread starter macrumors member

Is Real Racing unplayable without it? It was one of the games I was looking forward to :( And yah it's used and the back is slightly scratched, but $130 for 32gb sounded too good to pass up :)

7. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Who gave me -2? seriously, did my post deserve that? It's only truth!

8. dihydrogenoxide macrumors newbie

Personally I think the retina display is a huge improvement, and the A4 chip will mean that it is compatible with future software updates even after the 3rd gen is no longer supported. however it will be compatible with all current games - the lack of gyro just means the tilt controls might not be as accurate.

9. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

130$? That's a damn good deal for a 32GB iPod touch. I would buy it as well if i was you. Just keep in mind that iOS 5 is supporting the 3rd gen iPod touch but with some features turned off. So as far as i know that means no iOS 6 for it in the future (Like what happened with the 2nd gen iPod touch).

But hey, 130$ is still a great deal. I would totally buy it. By the time iOS 6 comes out you should have more than made up the spend cash.

I wouldn't get agitated over some imaginary numbers. I post not caring if i get -5000. :)