3rd Generation iPhone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gman901, Jul 13, 2008.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I think the new iphone is really nice, but I am waiting for the 3rd generation one to come out with hopes Apple finally puts in cut and paste, stereo bluetooth, mass storage and 32 GB minimum storage. My question is do you think the next one will still support the EDGE network or will everything be entirely 3G? The reason I ask is that I am not impressed with 3G for the iphone right now, and think EDGE is enough for me personally. I would hope the next one would at least give people who find EDGE suitable an option still.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The 3ed Gen is about a year or more away and NO ONE knows. Cut and Past could be offered as a software update to all iPhones and 3G will not be everywhere by next year so Edge will likely still be supported. 32GB will likely be a mid cycle (with maybe some optional colors) update for the current iPhone.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

3G always downgrades to EDGE if 3G service isn't available... so unless AT&T suddenly gets rid of EDGE or Apple jumps to WiMax or something, EDGE will still be supported.

And copy/paste is a software issue.

4. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I like having an option to choose EDGE to preserve battery life. I think if the current model comes out with a 32 GB version, that should be enough to make me buy one, unless it comes out too close to next year when the 3rd version comes out! :)

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Some people are just never happy. Didn't I see somewhere on the interwebs that a new version JUST came out?

/sarcasm

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why do you think there will be a new iPhone in a year?

Maybe a camera update, and a storage size update. But with all the third party software available, the phone is set for a very long time.

They needed to make a second generation iPhone because of the features missing in the first, namely 3G, but now, well what can they do to it?

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Because Apple's product cycles are very predictable, and they like to generate a motivation for people to upgrade their hardware on a periodic basis.

You're right on that point too. Apple cycles hardware fast, but is also known for supporting their older products for a long while. Macs bought 6, 7 years ago can still take advantage of Leopard. iTunes still supports iPods that are almost 7 years old. And everyone with a 1st Gen iPhone can use version 2.0.

More memory. Maybe videoconferencing. OLED screens to improve battery life. Improved batteries. Lots of refinements can happen over the course of a year that would permit a newer model. For some people it'll be worth upgrade, others might be just fine with software enhancements.

8. robbiewa macrumors newbie

Actually, it makes perfect sense for an upgrade within a year. by next summer, the 2 year contracts of the early adopters will be expiring, thus a new model could entice them to purchase a new phone and sign up for another 2 years of service.

In a year other cellphone manufacturers will have new phones out to compete for that market and AT&T and Apple understand they must keep improving on their product or lose potential customers.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apple will have to release a new iphone at least once a year. The cell phone industry moves very swiftly, and upgrades come at least once a year for popular models. If they wait too long then it just gives competitors longer lead time to ape the iphone and steal upgraders away.

10. paulzer22 macrumors newbie

My Dream

I had a dream one night that the perfect iphone was releashed for the 3rd gen. It included a 4 megapixel camera, built in camcorder, and even a flash :D. There was more to this wonderful dream, iphone finaly included bluetooth! not only that, it played flash and Java! My dream did not end their no, i also believe i saw a small webcam with ichat. my final dream for the iphone is that it uses verizon. Apple, if ur listning, make my dream a reality! :rolleyes:

11. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

You guys really don't think there will be a new iPhone before next year? I'm kind of waiting until June at least (especially after Apple recently stated their cycle like posted on the main page of macrumors). I was in the Apple store about to buy a 16GB but because of a situation that took place I didn't buy it and I'm kind of glad because I think something will come out this summer.

Am I alone? If not please convince me to buy a 16GB now so I don't wait 6 months for no reason. :cool:

12. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Don't forget the possibility of a multi-core GPU :p

13. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Did you forget that Apple approached Verizon with the iPhone first and they turned Apple down? So, AT&T got it. And you guys keep blaming Apple for the lack of Verizon wireless... blame your precious Verizon. But I would die for a native video recorder, flash and ichat... that is where I do dream along with you.

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:They have no choice 40 percent of the us if that have 3G. Edge will last for a while!:apple:

15. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:You could buy one now and sell in June or July they hold value very well!:apple:

16. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Apple approached Verizon? I don't know where you got your facts but last time I checked Verizon is a CDMA carrier and the iPhone uses GSM. Why the hell would Apple approach Verizon if iPhone uses GSM?

For the guy who wants iPhone on Verizon, Apple better include the two GSM and CDMA I guess.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Before they even told the public about it. Before MacWorld 2007.

The facts come from Verizon themselves.

18. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Where did I get my facts? I guess I just made them up.

But the last I read on THIS issue back in 2006... that's right, '06... Apple was talking about making a phone to go along with their sleek line of Mac computers and iPod line. They approached Verizon Wireless with an "idea" of a phone. They said no, so they approached AT&T (it may have still been Cingular at the time) and they said, "hell yeah, we'll take your phone, even without a working demo...we trust you!" And about a year later, the birth of the fist gen iPhone. So Yeah, the iPhone is a GSM phone but they didn't even have a working model before they approached Verizon. It could have been a CDMA phone, but Verizon was too scared to commit. all of you Verizon lovers, or AT&T haters...remember the reason the iPhone is not on your network...stop blaming Apple.

19. Kovert One macrumors newbie

They could VIDEO and SMS capability!!!!

20. northy014 macrumors regular

They'll almost certainly include EDGE - AT&T are hardly going to drop EDGE support before the Summer, especially with all the 3G network problems they have.

21. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Good post.

And I think that is going to hold true especially this year when true contenders enter the market.