3rd Generation Macbook's battery displaying 0% and not holding a charge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Midgard, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Midgard macrumors newbie

So I believe I have the 3rd Generation Macbook and for some reason the battery is not charging. The icon on the top of the screen shows that it's plugged in but the battery is still displaying (0%). I think it all started about a week ago when my 1st charger frayed at the connection point and eventually stopped working after an annoying month. The Macbook died and I left it alone for another week until I got to the Apple store and payed $80 dollars for another. I brought it home tonight and plugged it into my mac and the green led on it went on and is still on right now. The computer recognizes the battery because there is no X on the battery icon yet it still wont charge. I disconnect the charger and the computer shuts off... I thought I'd also mention that when I click the little charge meter button on the battery nothing happens, not even a single flasher.

So is the problem the new charger? It's a generation newer than my previous one, it's the one with the silver cylinder connector.

I tried downloading Coconut Battery but every time I launch it it crashes so I don't know the load cycles and all that.

If I have to buy a new battery then screw it, I'm going to buy a new Macbook Pro. I'm tired of this piece of ****, this is one of the many problems I've had.

Anybody had the same problem? This is my first post so yeah..:D

Attached Files:

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

I suspect the problem is with your new charger. I have read of cases on here where the charger will power the Mac but not charge the battery.

Also the fact that your charger is new and is exhibiting this behaviour makes me think that's very likely the problem

Can you try the charger on another Mac? And/or take it into the Apple store and talk to them.

3. Midgard thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you saying that my charger may be faulty or that the new generation charger in general has this problem with older macbooks? Well my brother has the last generations macbook pro and his charger works on mine and I have not yet tried the new charger on his so can I just trade chargers with him or does the new charger problem also apply with his older macbook pro? If you don't know it's fine I'll be able to test it soon enough. If the same problem does occur on his I'll just return the charger and go find an older one on amazon or ebay or whatever.

4. LewisBassett macrumors newbie

LewisBassett

Sounds like to me your going to need a new battery.

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. You said
    "...about a week ago when my 1st charger frayed at the connection point and eventually stopped working ... I got to the Apple store and payed $80 dollars for another. I brought it home tonight and plugged it into my mac and the green led on it went on ... yet it still wont charge. I disconnect the charger and the computer shuts off"

I assume your old charger charged your Mac OK? Your brand new charger does not. Therefore it's most likely a problem with the charger.

Later you say "Well my brother has the last generations macbook pro and his charger works on mine"

This seems to confirm that there is nothing wrong with your computer, the fault is definitely with the charger.

AFAIK there is no problem using the newest charger with older Macbooks. Magsafe chargers have always been interchangeable between Macs. I think your problem is a one-off defective charger. Contact the retailer and get them to swap it, I bet that will fix the problem.

6. Midgard thread starter macrumors newbie

You were correct my friend.