Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i recently acquired a 40 gig hard drive from a friend that for some reason won't be recognized by his PC...

i was able to place it in the zip drive chassis, get it partitioned and working just fine in my powermac quicksilver...now i'm up to 3 hard drives (60, 40, 40)

everything works out great, but now i want to know why my finder is having some major issues...suddenly all cocoa and carbon apps will freeze up, including the finder...it won't let me relaunch, or force quit any apps...

the only thing i'm able to do is hold down the power button until it shuts off...

anyone think the third hard drive is the problem (there's nothing on it as of yet)...or could it be my system.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Well.. try taking out it and see if it continues. If it doesn't, then its the drive.

Hardware troubleshooting is such a pain. I bought myself an 80GB firewire lacie D2 to avoid all thinking :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by springscansing
Well.. try taking out it and see if it continues. If it doesn't, then its the drive.

Hardware troubleshooting is such a pain. I bought myself an 80GB firewire lacie D2 to avoid all thinking :)

What he said. Also, slaving that HDD to the optical drive can be bad mojo. At the very least yer gonna get sub par performance 'cause that HDD will only run as fast as the optical drive.

Take out the HDD and see if problems persist. If problems end put the HDD back in and see what happends. If problems come back take out that HDD and swap it w/your 2nd HDD(put the 3rd HDD where the 2nd HDD is). If problems persist you know it's the drive. If problems cease you know the problem is slaving that drive to the optical drive. If you still want the 3rd HDD you can buy an IDE controller card for like 50 or 60 bux that goes into yer PCI slot.

Lethal

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I really doubt the HDD caused the problem unless it has some damaged or corrupt files. I would start from the Jag CD and check the disk and repair permissions.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
there were no files on the HDD it was a blank...no partitions set even

but i think i'm going to take it out and if it doesn't work now for my friend i'm going to swap my 40 and his 40 so he has one that works

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: 3rd hard disk in quicksilver

Originally posted by mnkeybsness
...place it in the zip drive chassis...

-mnkeybsness

Well, the machine wasn't designed for that. So there will probably be issues here.

I too have a quicksilver with three HD's in it, but I use a Sonnet Tempo ATA133 controller card (PCI), for the third drive. Yeah, it's a few extra pennies ($50 from CDW I think), but it's the proper way to go about doing what you want.

I don't know what specifically is causing your issue, but I do know that starting from the way things were designed to do, is the best way, and slaving to your optical is a major kludge.

Please try this...

Sonnet Tempo ATA133: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_ata133.html

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
I have 3 drives set up exactly the same but on a dual 533 (larger sizes though). I don't have any of these problems you are claiming, and it is not slow at all. But what I would suggest is that you low-level format the drive (re-zero). Use Apple's disk utility for that. If problems still persist, it is probably the actual hardware of the drive causing you problems, manufacturer defect. Drives usually have a 3-5 year warranty, check that out. It should be labeled on the top of the drive when it ends. If it is still in warranty, call them and they will find a way to get you a replacement or have it repaired.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
will any IDE PCI or Raid controller work for macs?

i'm thinking about buying this hard drive from my friend since his system won't recognize it...ideally i would like to have that and my other 40Gb hard drive set up for raid as one hard drive so that i could put mp3s on it and have itunes recognize all of them...sonnets are too expensive, and i would prefer to get a deal on ebay.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
will any IDE PCI or Raid controller work for macs?

i'm thinking about buying this hard drive from my friend since his system won't recognize it...ideally i would like to have that and my other 40Gb hard drive set up for raid as one hard drive so that i could put mp3s on it and have itunes recognize all of them...sonnets are too expensive, and i would prefer to get a deal on ebay.

You can get a controller from sonnettech.com.

Lethal

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
keyword in that sentence is ANY, but more specifically...something BESIDES sonnet

Yes. I use ACARD for my RAID on my OSX server box [G4/533]. THey are cheaper than the Sonnet card, but here is the fun part..ACARD built the Sonnet card! It's the same card. ACARD is in Taiwan,ut they have a web site and Other WOrld carries them.

Enjoy.

:)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
i'm pretty sure i already said something about sonnet...

and this...

keyword in that sentence is ANY, but more specifically...something BESIDES sonnet

Hmmm... musta missed the "no sonnet part" and to answer your Q, No. Only Mac specific cards will work in Macs. And, unfortunetly, like most things Mac related the pickings are rather slim.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.