All iPads 3rd iPad - Still have image retention issues, refund?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Thatquadguy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Thatquadguy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

On my third retina iPad mini and still have image retention issues, am I entitled to a refund at this point or even a gift card?

I ran this test and it confirms image retention, so proving to an apple genius will not prove difficult.
    http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Who did you buy it from? If it was from Apple, they'll just keep replacing it but will also make it more difficult with each replacement. If you are within the return window then send it back.

3. Kangda macrumors member

Whether you are eligible for a refund depends entirely on when and where you bought it. Best Buy? 15 days. Apple Store? 14 days. Target? 30 days, but they will likely let you only exchange it for the same item.

If outside the return window, Apple will just replace it under the warranty.

4. Thatquadguy thread starter macrumors newbie

It is past the return date but I am fed up of having to keep return to the store to be given a faulty iPad again.

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Just out of curiosity, do you notice any image retention in your day-to-day usage?

6. Thatquadguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I do yes, it only takes a minute of a static image for the retention to occur.

Surely, after 3 iPads with the same issue, I am entitled to a refund?

7. Kangda macrumors member

I think if you wanted a refund, the key would have been to return each device within the 2 week window and rebuy, versus exchanging. Once you are out of the return period, you are out of luck with a refund. They will replace iPad after iPad after iPad outside of the return window.

8. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

You only need to make one more trip. If it's bothersome enough to cause actual problems while using it (e.g., an icon or other screen element is "burned" into the screen vs. only happening with that silly test website), then bring it back, show them, and ask for an exchange. Open the new iPad while you're still there and check to see it doesn't have the same problem. If it does, repeat.

The key is that it really should affect actual use though -- that website caused image retention on my old iPad 3 in about a minute or so, but I've never noticed it the whole time I've owned it. If it doesn't cause actual screen elements to "burn in" -- as I suspect only a very tiny number do -- you don't have anything to worry about.

9. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Definitely return it, if possible. It seems likely that no iPad will satisfy you.