3rd Ipad v 4th LTE UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PONR, Oct 24, 2012.

1. PONR macrumors newbie

Im slighlty confused, am i correct in thinking that the 3rd gen LTE is useless on major networks in the UK. However the new updated 4th gen is going to be more furture proof in terms of LTE connectivity?

I soley bought a 3rd gen, based on LTE only to be told that it may not be compatible with UK carriers?

If this is the case iv been mis-informed by apple when i purshased the device.

Any help would be great.

2. stuaz macrumors 6502

This was well published by Apple and the main stream media at the time.

You also had the option to take it back to Apple because of the LTE UK/Aus issue.

That offer has of course expired.

3. PONR thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i did not hear about it. Like i said this was not mentioned when i asked the apple advisor, apple could of sent emails explaining the problem instead of false advertising.

4. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

You bought a product and now want to exchange it and it sounds like you're trying to find a spurious reason as to why you should be allowed to. Apple were undoubtedly disingenuous about how they described the "New iPad" originally but they addressed this. I expect you're out of luck on this one.

5. stuaz macrumors 6502

I don't know when you brought it but I believe a month after it was released Apple updated there website to state on the products page it would only work with X,Y,Z carriers.

6. PONR, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

PONR thread starter macrumors newbie

Its about 6 months old, im not bothered that apple have upgraded the ipad, what annoys me is that an apple employee told me this would be 4g and will be fine for the furture. So why would i go and check the apple website??

I bought it because an expert told me that it would work, which of course i would beileve from an apple employee . I dont think its a mistake of mine. Its annoying because i paid £659.

7. Dee1226 macrumors newbie

OP I agree with you. I'm in the same boat. One of the main reasons for me buying the iPad 3 was the advertised 4G capabilities. Even though the UK did not have a 4G network at the time at least my device would be a little more future proof.

I only learnt yesterday the iPad 3 is not compatible with UK networks. I bought mine as part of the pre-order from apple and everything I researched at the time implied the device was compatible. Why was i not informed by apple?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

I feel conned. :mad:

8. PONR thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly how i feel im glad its not just me, for me it was all about the 4g. Dont no why they bothered to bring an ipad in the UK that was 4g but not for country its being sold in. Then a month later apple supposedly make changes to their website, by then why would i re-visit.

9. tann macrumors 68000

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

The iPad 64gb with 3G / LTE 3rd Gen won't work on any LTE outside the USA, only on 3G and cost £659

The 4th Gen iPad with LTE will only work on EE in the UK, When Voda/O2 launch their LTE services next year; they won't work on the 4th Gen iPad as they won't be the same bands; as I understand it the Freq up for grabs is 800Mhz and 2.6ghz which none of the current iPads support.

Talk about making LTE Fragmented!

11. Andy-V macrumors 6502

You should at least try making your case with Apple. They did mislead in their initial advertising and it's very understandable that you're just finding out you were misled now. Definitely Apple's fault.

12. Guacamole macrumors regular

I guess this issue on an Ipad 3 cannot be solved with a IOS upgrade, firmware update, right?

13. stuaz macrumors 6502

Well if we are being pedantic - TECHNICALLY the Apple guy didn't lie as it is 4G :)

I do stand by what I said that it was well publicised in main stream media that it was the wrong band for the UK and Apple gave you all a chance to refund.

Just so you know also, the UK wavelength market for 4G is incredibly fragmented. The 4th Gen will only work with EE but when Vodafone launch there network it won't work on there's (Same situation with the iPhone 5).

My advice would be to moan to Apple, there customer care is second to none so they may take pity on you.