3rd MBP & counting... in under 2 months!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrank, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MacCrank macrumors member

Not long picked up yet another brand new MBP replacement from Apple. 3rd time Lucky?? :confused:

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

I hope it works out for you!

I've always been mystified about the luck of some, in regards to receiving a non-defective Apple product. The experiences of folks like iGary and PDE simply defy all logical explanations. I pray you don't fall into their category! :D

3. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

You're so lucky, I've only got one. :rolleyes:

4. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Nothing but issues with my MBP

My Disk Drive has now stopped working. Called Apple and without troubleshooting they assumed the driver is pooped. Probably end up replacing it.

I've had nothing but problems with them. This is my 3rd replacement MBP.

Not impressed with the parts keep packing up!! :mad:

Is this normal with these MBPs? My previous white MB has never had anything replaced and its still on its original battery (+1,000 cycles later) and is around 7 years old. Still going strong.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I had quite a few problems with one of the MacBook Pros I've owned, but that was one of the original Core Duo models from 2006. After Apple replaced it with a mid/late 2007 model, I never had any issues(Even though this model was affected by the Nvidia m8600GT issue).

All of the other MacBooks and MacBook Pros I've owned have been trouble free.

6. SchuettS macrumors 6502

No, of course its not normal.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's quite bizarre.

8. Argentine86, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

Argentine86 macrumors regular

What were the reasons for all the replacements?

9. MacCrank, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Update

1st one - logic board - brand new replacement - (1 month in)
    2nd one - hard drive - brand new replacement - (2 weeks in)
    3rd one - disc drive not been working for months & loose Thunderbolt connection - (11 months in)

Dropped my 3rd (latest MBP) off today for the above reasons and left it with them.
    The technician mentioned how slow it was performing for a machine so new/ top of the range 15" MBP and asked if its always been like this! I didn't notice tbh but when he tested by plugging into an external drive to run the MBP, it was rapid, so there is an issue here too!

He said the Mini DisplayPort issue maybe related to the logic board so may need changing! (Again) ARHHGG

I mentioned this is my 3rd replacement and he couldn't believe it.

He also said Apple may refrain from replacing the logic board or hard drive again due to the amount of replacements I have had already!! WHAT!! I said that is not my problem! And it's still under warranty!

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they gave you a new machine for a faulty hdd?

11. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Yes. Apple said they are not even going to repair/ replace the HDD as it was only 2 weeks old. They just did another complete replacement inc box & charger again.

12. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Wow. I thought I was the only human in history to have this happen to them. I too am now on my THIRD MBP replacement. 2 15-inch cMBPs, and now 1 rMBP. The retina I've only had for a month and it was in depot for the majority of the time. 5 major hardware failures. :mad:

----------

MacCrank,

Did you return to an Apple Store or try to resolve via AppleCare?

13. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Really? I thought i was the only one too!
    I have actually began to think maybe its something im doing.
    Do you anything abnormal?

The only things i do which may not be normal is:

1. I run a Matrox Dualhead2Go DP (dual screen setup) Run through USB & Thunderbolt.
    2. Have the mbp on a stand closed, upside down (so heat can escape out top of mbp)
    3. Run windows 7

Yes, I took it into an Apple Store and left it with them. After trying to resolve over the phone last month.

14. thirty7alpha macrumors member

thirty7alpha

Absolutely not. I ran no additional screens, nor did I run Windows or any other processor-intensive software. I am convinced that you are much more likely to get a quicker replacement if you actually take the machine into the store.

15. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Oh OK. Thats good news as I would have been concerned if you ran something similar as it would have shown this may have been the issue.

I did take it into a store. The Technician has it now. Although it was actually a Solutions inc Store.