3rd Mouse Button as Back Button

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bpasker, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bpasker macrumors member

I would like to program my system to use the third button on my house as a back button. I have a Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 mouse.

I know you can purchase a program to do this. I would like to avoid purchasing anything. I would rather program my OS to do this. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Config file?

2. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

I'd like to do the same with a Mighty Mouse, but the option doesn't appear under the settings. Anyone know how to do it?

3. bpasker thread starter macrumors member

This is CRAP!

The most advanced operating system in the world??? I can't even program a third mouse button! This is CRAP!

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Microsoft Mouse? Download the IntelliMouse app from the Microsoft site.

5. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

My Wacom mouse works perfectly with the two buttons on the side as back/forward buttons in Safari, and Spaces in other applications.

Most mice will work better with drivers and prefpanes for the system preferences to allow you to program buttons. Microsoft should provide them on their website.

6. bpasker thread starter macrumors member

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm.. All 3 of my Microsoft mice's scroll wheel button are programmed to do "Back". Lucky me, I guess. :)

Tried USB Overdrive, I assume?

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I don't have it in front of me (I use it at work), but I'm almost certain IntelliMouse can do this, as others suggested.

9. Cantello macrumors member

If the supplied mouse driver does not offer this, SteerMouse can freely program all buttons on your mouse, plus it can adjust speed/acceleration better than OSX's prefpane.

Worth every cent.

10. bpasker thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint:MotoQ9c)

I don't remember seeing the option on my system. I will doule check when I get home. Does anyone know of any freeware?