3rd party adapters

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joshoon, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Joshoon macrumors regular

Joshoon

Hi there!

I was wondering if someone could help me out with their opinions.

It's that time of the year again, the cable of the Macbook Pro adapter is frayed again.
    I am actually surprised that it happened again, because this my second one that broke down, and the other one even started to burn!
    I am very careful with it too, I roll it up pretty loose around the clasps of the Macbook adapter.
    The first one got it's cable ripped at the part where the cable comes out of the adapter, and now it is totally ripped at the part that goes onto the Macbook itself.

Unfortunately, I cannot spend 80 euro's on yet another Macbook Adapter right now, and I've seen some other good deals for 3rd party chargers that cost around 40 euro's.
    This one for example: https://viadennis.nl/adapter/apple/macbook+15+inch+(vanaf+mid+2012)/replacement/VAP1646MAGNET2.html

Now I really wonder if this is safe to use? Can it break down my Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Early 2013)?
    The product page says it is made by Sygnosis (Never heard of that before), and that is follows the strict requirements and guidelines to become a safe adapter.

So what do you guys think? Will I be OK with the adapter?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If you're still under warranty, they'll replace the cord.

3. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

I doubt that.
    The first one that broke down started to burn, and Apple didn't want to help me, they said it was my own fault.
    After a lot of discussion they finally sent a new one towards me.

When this one started to fray, and the cable started to break down, I tried to fix it with a spring from a pencil, since it's a quite known way to avoid fraying Apple cables to break down.
    Unfortunately, it didn't help for me.
    Now, if I would go to an Apple Reseller with this thing, they might say it's my own fault again, because I have a spring around the cable, which is not the case, since the cable frayed and got ripped before I put the spring on it.
    But you know how that works nowadays, they always try to avoid giving a replacement or a refund.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I wouldn't risk it with a 3rd party. Don't use the clips around the charger, I just coil the cable loosely.

5. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

That's what I was doing with the 1st one, and that's the one that burned up.
    The Apple advisor told me that I should use the clips to coil the charger around it.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

How you coil it won't affect it burning up or not. It will affect fraying.

7. Joshoon thread starter macrumors regular

Joshoon

I know, but when I coiled it up very loose and just put it into my backpack, it started to fray at the side of the adapter, and that's what burned up after a while.