3rd Party Airport card questions.

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
hello i have a lime green iBook clamshell and i am trying to get wireless on it without having to spend alot on an airport card. I have a Dell Truemobile 1150 wireless card and an orinoco WaveLAN gold card that when i put into the airport port they are recognized as airport cards with the firmware 9.52 . the iBook sees them as airport cards and will scan and find networks but will not connect to them.
Is it possible the OS X 10.3.9 Airport drivers arent working or is there a way to flash one of those cards with actual Airport card Firmware.
Please respond to this because i would really like to get this Laptop wireless.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
schaef2493 said:
The OP doesn't seem to be looking for a replacement but a way to use his Dell card w/ his iBook.

:confused:
They have a buybackprogram for wireless cards that your don't use but still work - you have to call them though:D

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Sawtoothdude said:
hello i have a lime green iBook clamshell and i am trying to get wireless on it without having to spend alot on an airport card. I have a Dell Truemobile 1150 wireless card and an orinoco WaveLAN gold card that when i put into the airport port they are recognized as airport cards with the firmware 9.52 . the iBook sees them as airport cards and will scan and find networks but will not connect to them.
Is it possible the OS X 10.3.9 Airport drivers arent working or is there a way to flash one of those cards with actual Airport card Firmware.
Please respond to this because i would really like to get this Laptop wireless.
Is the antenna cord connected to the wireless card? I believe those Dell and orinoco cards have large outside shells that need to be stripped down to get to the antenna port.

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
yes i have it plugged in but i beleive it is a matter of software because none of the connections actually go out to the web. the routers i am testing it with are working as i have tested them with a PC. Is there a way to flash the orinoco or dell with apple airport firmware?

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
does anyone know where i can download an old version of Airport software so that one of these cards may work?