3rd Party App Icons - Low Res

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Speedracer04, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Was wondering if any developers know how newer high resolution icons are going to work? Will the app automatically determine if you have an iPhone 4 and use the correct icon?

Or are we all stuck with blurry icons?

Even apples own "store" app looks terrible next to say the iBooks icon

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

It's incredibly easy for developers to add hi-res artwork to their apps, and I assume that goes for icons, too. That said, both the App Store icon and the iBooks icon are high resolution on my iPhone. You said that one of them wasn't? :confused:

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I think OP means that the Apple Store app has a low res icon.

4. Speedracer04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Ya, sorry I meant the "Apple Store" app, not the App Store app.

Hope devs will update their apps soon, call me picky but the low res icons look terrible compared to the high res ones

5. jtara macrumors 65816

I guess you've never worked with a graphic artist.

Mine has invented some new math, whereby elements in the image change size by a variable amount when doubling all of the dimensions.

The math is so new that even my designer doesn't understand it. "I don't know how it did that."

That's after the first go-around, where he sucked a Photoshop image into Adobe Illustrator (you can do that?) re-imported it to Photoshop with a different pixel resolution, and somehow expected it to look better. Of course, the original when zoomed 2X looked IDENTICAL to the new, "high resolution" image. Another hour blown doing something I could have done myself in The Gimp in 5 minutes. At least I would have only wasted 5 minutes.

The second go-around required hours more work, because he had done a transparent punch-out effect in Photoshop, because he hadn't been able to figure out how to do it with acceptable results in Illustrator. So, if I change a color or width somewhere, it requires hours more work to add back the punch-outs.

Oh, and then I had to pay for all this nonsense by the hour.

So, I guess you've never worked with a graphic artist...

On the other hand, I'm running a logo contest on 99designs.com, and so far I am delighted - with the results, the process, and the cooperation and good communication with designers. In the future, I have to say, the bulk of my graphic work will go to 99designs.

6. menomano macrumors member

holy crap!! what are you talking about????
    it takes like 10 seconds to save a higher res version of a vector artwork, if the original was done in illustrator, which it should have been. It boggles my mind that your "graphic artist" did the original in photoshop and left no room for a better resolution version. Then he tries to put that back into illustrator?? argh. Unless he did a live trace on it. still so lame.
    I don't think you should work with him again.
    just my two cents