Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesleym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
A few weeks ago, I found a third party application that allowed me to use my external usb hard drive connected through my airport extreme as an airdisk for use in time machine. I can't find the website again.

I have tried every other option and read through countless pages of forum threads. My iomega 500gb external hard drive is formatted mac os extended (journaled) and it will work as a time machine backup drive when connected directly to my computer. I can't get the airport extreme and drive to work together now. I can't remember the name of the application or the website. I still can't get my drive to show up under disk utility either when it is connected to airport extreme. Yes I do have the disk sharing enabled, etc... I have tried terminal prompts I found in threads. Nothing works. I used to have it working with a third party application. HELP!!

What I do remember is that the website had about 4 other applications for apple. They were very technical programs that I didn't understand or have any use for. It was a professional site design. The downloads were free!! I thought it might have been called time warp... but my google searches found nothing under that name. The application was downloaded and it automatically made my hard drive connected through airport extreme in the "change disk" menu of the time machine main menu page when I opened it.

Does anybody know the program I am looking for?!!!!:(

manofdestiny

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
3rd party app to use airdisk for time machine

I'm afraid this is a 'me too' reply. However I'm throwing in my senario in hopes someone will help.

I have the WD 2T External Mirror Edition hard drive with an Airport Extreme. It is recognized if hooked directly to the notebook, but not when hooked up to the AE either directly or through a powered USB hub.

In another thread, a user suggested that external drives were not supported with the Airport Extreme. Is that true?

I am a windows user for 18 yrs and have just come out of the closet and loving it. But I need to devise a backup and extra file storage solution to use with a notebook and I don't want to always be plugging in cords when at my desk.

I also picked up Apple TV and am about to set it up. But now I don't have a hard disk for it to read wirelessly.

Any help from the MAC community would be greatly appreciated. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.