Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a way to have a third party app notify me on apple watch only. I don't want my iPhone to vibrate or show anything on the lock screen. So in order to not have my phone vibrate I had to turn off sounds for that app. But then on the watch there is only the option to either mirror iPhone alerts or not. If alerts are mirrored then there are no alerts on watch because they are turned off on phone. If alerts are not mirrored they also seem to be turned off. Am I missing something, does anyone know a way to set this up they way I want?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I don't think what you're wanting to do is possible. With the way it's currently designed right now, there's no way to have notifications go only to the Apple Watch.

The closest thing you can do is to turn off the Lock Screen, Notification Center, and Banners alerts, but leave Sounds and Badges on. Notifications will actually still go to the watch and vibrate, but only if the phone is sleeping. If the phone is awake, then the phone vibrates instead and not the watch.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
I have no idea if this will work or not, but on the watch, under notifications, if you select an app, then you have the option to select 'Mirror my iPhone' or 'Custom'.

I'd assume that custom would allow you to get notifications in a different manner than you get them on your phone.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't think what you're wanting to do is possible. With the way it's currently designed right now, there's no way to have notifications go only to the Apple Watch.

The closest thing you can do is to turn off the Lock Screen, Notification Center, and Banners alerts, but leave Sounds and Badges on. Notifications will actually still go to the watch and vibrate, but only if the phone is sleeping. If the phone is awake, then the phone vibrates instead and not the watch.
This is the way I have it set up right now. I just wish my phone wouldn't vibrate even when sleeping for this one app. I guess it's not possible then.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I have no idea if this will work or not, but on the watch, under notifications, if you select an app, then you have the option to select 'Mirror my iPhone' or 'Custom'.

I'd assume that custom would allow you to get notifications in a different manner than you get them on your phone.
Unfortunately the setting you are talking about only exists for Apple's first party apps. If you scroll down to the list of third party apps there is only a toggle to mirror iPhone alerts. Unchecking it seems to turn off notifications for that app all together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.