3rd Party Batteries?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yojitani, May 22, 2012.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I've got a bit of travel ahead of me and I'm not sure if I'll always have convenient access to a power source, so I am considering buying a "spare." Are there any 3rd party batteries you'd recommend? Any you'd suggest I avoid?

This is for a late 2008 MBP (unibody), btw!

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I wouldn't buy anything but Apple ones personally. There's electronic circuitry in that battery that's specific to Apple (and patented), it's not just a dumb battery.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

4. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks for responding. That's interesting. I hadn't heard about proprietary circuitry in the battery. I will look around for information, but if you (or anyone) could point me in the direction of some documentation about the proprietary circuitry, I'd be grateful. I know that Apple has a patent on the magsafe adapter, but that simply means that the magsafe is priced out of most 3rd party production. I'd like to know more about the battery, particularly since there are so many 3rd party batteries on the market.... (I mean for the mbp's with a removable battery, like mine.)

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Been there, dun that. Had one that only lasted a month. Another that you could fry weenies on after a few hours.

Pay the Apple extortion fees and just get original OEM batteries.