Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juo100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hi everyone.

I am going be ordering my second mac on Saturday next week, had my Mac Mini close to a year now and have fallen in love with OSX. Im ordering a budget Macbook (the 2.00ghz no superdrive one), being a 17 year old student who only writes Ruby code/makes websites its more than enough for my needs and doesn't break the bank, which is nice. :)

On to my question, has anyone ever tried a 3rd party battery in their laptop? Ive seen a few on eBay and cant decide if I should part with £50 to try one out.

I would really like a 2nd battery is just they are so darn expensive. If their any good id really rather buy two 3rd party batteries for the price of the Apple one.

Is there any dire reason that I shouldnt be messing about with 3rd party batteries? Does this void my 1 year complimentary warranty in anyway?

Thanks ever so much reading this and I look forward to reading replies.

Juo100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I see.... Would you be able to expand on exactly why? Or have people done some serious damage with them in the past?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I have no experience personally with third party batteries for macbooks. but the situation just doesn't bode well for me.

the most important factor is that third party batteries are not guaranteed to work. especially with such an expensive piece of equipment, you want to stay away from all possibilities of your macbook exploding. :p

I know it's expensive but its the general consensus to avoid third party batteries.

by the way, I didn't know there are third party batteries for the macbook!

you should also analyze your current situation and needs. is a second battery purchase warranted?

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I have bought four third party batteries for G3 Powerbooks, with a 75% success rate. One was crap, the others are still going strong.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The making of batteries from cells made by one of the relatively few cell manufacturers isn't exactly rocket science. I'd suspect that a 3rd party battery would work just fine, but the Apple versions aren't all that much more expensive and are more likely to fit better. Any links to ones you're considering?

Juo100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
one of the bids actually advertises 6-7 hours of operation. that's quite impressive.

like the above poster said, he had a 75% success rate. that isn't good enough. but if you do purchase one, good luck!

Juo100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Ill wait and see if there are any more replies or a horror story is posted. :p

If I do buy one ill be sure to write some feedback on how it went. There doesn't seem to be much out there.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm one for one in the 3rd party battery department. The fit was a little awkward, but the battery-ness was fine.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I have a third party battery for my iBook and it works fine. In fact, it works better because it has higher capacity cells. The fit isn't perfect, but neither is the fit of the original Apple battery.

I don't think there's any basis to say third-party batteries should generally be avoided.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Doesn't anyone remember the recent fire/melting hardware problems with recent laptop batteries? If you buy a battery from Apple, and it destroys your machine, Apple may at least take some responsibility for that and compensate you. With a 3rd party battery, forget it...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
The chances of your battery suddenly exploding into a fireball is actually pretty rare. If it's that much of a concern, you could always contact the manufacturer and ask.

In the extremely rare case the terrible happens, you could just sue the manufacturer for a million dollars. Then you could buy all the Apple batteries you could possibly want.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
In the extremely rare case the terrible happens, you could just sue the manufacturer for a million dollars. Then you could buy all the Apple batteries you could possibly want.

seriously, if that happend, leave the firefall in you lap just long enough to scorch the hairs down south!

will give you photo proof and get your million dollars for almost making your steril

.... but realy "good" 3rd party batteries sure dont go for less than 1/3 the price unless they are not of the same quality.

--- dont get McDondald's for about a month and you have enough money for a real apple battery:D

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
The chances of your battery suddenly exploding into a fireball is actually pretty rare. If it's that much of a concern, you could always contact the manufacturer and ask.

You could, but that's a lenthy, costly and time-consuming process. That's why ppl sign up for class action suits. Not likely to happen with a manufacturer with limited distribution.

I agree, though, actual cases of this happening are quite rare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.