3rd party cameras in iOS4 + thumbnails/exif problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TimoKoo, Jul 23, 2010.

1. TimoKoo macrumors newbie

At the time I updated my iPhone 3G to iOS4 I started to have problems with 3rd party camera apps (NightCamera & Gorillacam).

Now pictures taken with those apps don't show the thumbnail properly in Adobe Bridge Photo downloader (PSE8, Mac OS X) and also seems that exif data is also lost as the photo renaming to date+time according to exif gives only the moment of upload.

Also the thumbnails of those in iPhone camera roll look strange, some are shown but some are just plain black (I have 281 photos camera roll).

I tried to contact NightCamera support, but no response. iPhone is rebooted and there's been new versions from both camera-apps after iOS4 but still no help.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Timo

2. TimoKoo thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cleggster83 macrumors regular

cleggster83

I Have the same problem with my 3g version. Just waiting on a fix from gorillia. Lets hope its soon

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I've tried a few so-call "Camera" Apps and deleted all of them!

If I want to tweak any pics taken on my 'phone (hardly ever!), I prefer to load them onto my computer and use something like Photoshop. Then, if necessary, load them back into the iPhone. I realise it's a bit more fiddly that way but it is certainly more reliable and effective.

5. TimoKoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Might be the same as I'm using 3G too. There already came one fix to both of those apps, but didn't help.

I'm also doing all the editing in computer, but those programs use the movement recognition of iPhone and take the photo when it's still on my hand hence getting much sharper photos. That feature I haven't seen in standard camera app yet...

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Saving of EXIF data to the camera roll is not permitted in iOS 4.0.1 and earlier.

The lack of thumbnails seems to be some kind of bug in iOS 4. It's annoying, and hopefully Apple takes care of that one soon.

7. TimoKoo thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, but as the programs worked before the iOS-update, I guess that they didn't try to update exif-data, just saved it normally. The reason I suspect exif is that as I've downloaded those photos, they don't have correctly the date/time of shooting.

Hopefully that bug gets fixed soon.