3rd party Dock/Stands for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by karansaraf, Aug 7, 2010.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

So I know about the Apple Dock for iPhone 4. It acts as a stand and also a charger for the iPhone 4 and has an audio-out.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC596?mco=MTcyNzk4MTk

But (like all Apple products) it is overpriced for just a dock that doesn't ship with anything else (cables/power supply etc).

Are there any good 3rd party Docks that have the same function? The main thing I am looking for is ability to charge. Audio out is a bonus but not a necessity, so if someone could recommend a good one/good ones, then I'm all ears!

Much appreciated!

2. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

I've used the Griffin Simpifi since the 3G.

What's nice about it, beside the fact that in addition to being a dock it also has a built in memory card reader and USB hub, is the dock connector has a removable insert.

You can fit it to accommodate any device. If you only own an iPhone 4 simply pick up one of the dock adapters and you're good to go.

I've fitted mine with one of the universal dock adapters that Switch Easy gives with their 3G cases. I am able to use the dock to sync/charge my iPhone 4, my iPod Touch and a 3Gs as well.

And you can find these docks under $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Simpl...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281182544&sr=8-1

3. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

Does it come with an adapter for iPhone 4 or do you have to buy that separately?

Also, does it have it's own permanent built in cable that plugs into computer/power supply or can you plug in/out the USB iPhone charger cable? I'd preferably like to connect the dock to the power supply rather than always being connected to the PC, so is this an option?

4. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

1. No, since it was made pre-iPhone 4 you'll have to get an iPhone 4 adapter from Apple.

2. It needs power (from the wall) since it's got the USB hub.

5. Shawnstra macrumors regular

I actually have the Apple Universal dock (which has the same cutout as the Simplifi), and it's actually ok not to have the iPhone 4 dock adapters. The 30 pin connector is strong enough to hold up the iPhone. Plus it should fit if you use a thin case with the dock.