3rd Party Email Apps and Not Clearing Notifications

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
So I have tried Gmail, Outlook, and CloudMagic to replace the built in Mail app on my 6+ but here is a common problem between all of them I don't remember always being an issue with 3rd party mail apps.

When a new mail comes in, I am alerted, no problems. Because I'm sitting at my computer I'll check the mail there. The notification on the lock screen never goes away on my 6+ though...even when I get additional notifications for new mail later. The list just grows and grows until I unlock my phone.

Am I imagining things that it didn't used to work this way? Has it always been like this? I slipped away to Android for about a year but now I'm back and trying to figure out this problem. lol

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2014
I've tried a bunch of mail programs and I have noticed this as well. It's annoying. I'd us the built-in Mail app but the lack of push GMail makes it a non-starter. The GMail and Outlook apps both have push email, but then they have the notification issue you mentioned. If you end up finding an app that works, let me know.

Facebook and FB Messenger have the same notification issue as well.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
For third-party apps, there is no possible way to cancel a particular push notification without user interaction. Notifications are automatically cleared only when the badge is set to zero. So try to unread everything in your inbox, and all the previous notifications would go away.

EvoXOhio

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2014
For third-party apps, there is no possible way to cancel a particular push notification without user interaction. Notifications are automatically cleared only when the badge is set to zero. So try to unread everything in your inbox, and all the previous notifications would go away.
Well that sucks, here's hoping that is changed in iOS9. When I was on Android it did this.