3rd Party email clients suddenly don't work with iCloud

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by kirbyrun, Aug 3, 2014.

1. kirbyrun macrumors member

After literally years of no problems -- and with no recent updates or changes to my system -- I suddenly cannot send attachments via iCloud email through a 3rd party client. I tried with two different clients and in both cases, the emails failed to send. When I use Mail.app, the emails go through.

In the 3rd party clients, I would simply get an error message saying "IMAP Protocol Error: timeout surpassed."

(The two clients I tried are Airmail and Gyazmail.)

Any thoughts?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple recently beefed up the security protocols and encryption for iCloud mail. Could be related.

3. impaler macrumors 6502

Don't think that's related. The protocols for connecting to the SMTP servers haven't changed on Apple's support document side, so it's got to be something else.

4. kirbyrun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I've emailed one of the client developers and he's looking into it, so hopefully I'll have some kind of an answer.

5. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

Didn't it work with Outlook 2013 on Windows machines? I have a dual boot on my Mac Mini with Lion with Windows 7 and it works fine :)

6. impaler macrumors 6502

Any IMAP client should work with iCloud mail without issue. Bear in mind, too, there could have been a server-side issue, minor outage, etc., that affected the set up. So long as you follow the below support article and its settings, it should work. Also may try flipping the SSL/TLS settings and ports.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

7. kirbyrun thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I tried all of that. Still no joy. Hadn't changed my settings at all before this all started, either -- it just spontaneously stopped sending attachments.

8. kirbyrun thread starter macrumors member

And it continues...

Just updating...

For a couple of days, it miraculously starting sending attachments again, but just now it stopped.

Weird...