3rd party external monitors -- Need advice!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmgilman, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jmgilman macrumors newbie

I'm a college student who will be required to being doing quite a bit of video editing using Final Cut, as well as general email, Garageband projects, etc.

I'm looking for the cheapest but biggest/brightest/best 3rd party monitor that is compatible with a MacBook Pro. I want something big that I can use to watch movies, do my work on, etc., but I am pretty broke so am hoping to find something cheap.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

2. MTI macrumors 65816

Budget LCD panels generally will have compromises in size, contrast ratio and resolution.

On the other hand . . . if you have the space to put it, you can pretty much get a honkin' big 19-23" old fashioned CRT style monitor for free on Craigslist. Nearly all of them are color tuneable, will support the resolution of the laptop and free has a certain ring to it, yes?

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The cheapest monitor that comes to mind is the Dell 2209WA - you will need the MDP->DVI adapter. Should be under $400 total. However, the max rez is 1680x1050.

If you feel like spending a few extra hundred dollars (including adapter costs), the HP LP2475 is an excellent choice - a slight note, things will appear over-saturated if[/i] you are not working in a colour-aware program (Final Cut is, to the best of my knowledge, colour-aware). Get it from Amazon, their return policy is EXCELLENT.

If you can find a DS-263N on eBay, thats another good monitor. They're no longer produced, but 25.5". I got mine for $500 including shipping... Just verify with the seller that there aren't any dead pixels. I found mine on an Amazon store that sells off random crap they find in inventory.

The reason I deal with Amazon is their return policy... Generally, you get stuck with dead pixels from other sellers (between three and eight is the minimum at most stores)

4. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Problem is that Amazon is blacklisting users' accounts that have returns for big ticket items now. Amazon USED to be an awesome place to shop...

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

What the frak? Maybe its because I haven't bought something there for a while. Well... wish I could help in this respect. Is there a Fry's Electronics around where you live? I've heard good reviews about it...

6. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

My HP2338h monitor was only like $260 at best buy, and looks very similar to the ACD. It's a beautiful 23 inch screen, and easily bests the quality of my MBA screen (which is already very good itself)

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

RE: 3rd party external monitors

RE:
    "I'm looking for the cheapest but biggest/brightest/best 3rd party monitor that is compatible with a MacBook Pro. I want something big that I can use to watch movies, do my work on, etc., but I am pretty broke so am hoping to find something cheap. "

Dell 2209wa:
    http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/monitors/0,239029422,339294389,00.htm

Dell's page & price:
    http://lt.dell.com/lt/lt.aspx?CID=2...u=320-7825&cs=04&c=us&l=en&CAWELAID=301651947

or...
    http://tinyurl.com/qy8vqx

Probably the best 22" display available right now, and a very reasonable price.

Dealmac shows the Dell 2408wfp 24" on sale for about $420 right now.

- John