3rd party fan apps still necessary on macbook pro retina ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Jan 10, 2014.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Are 3rd party fan apps still necessary to keep macbook pro retina cool on mavericks ? I had them for mountain lion because the fans wouldn't start up as quickly and the laptop would get hot .

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've stopped using them when I got my rMBP and the temps have never been a major issue for me.

Light Photoshop user, and medium Aperture user here

3. cbs20 macrumors member

Depends on how intense the applications are that you are running. When I'm using mine for normal daily activities like mail, iTunes, Safari, and Office Suite, I never use any 3rd party fan apps. When I use it for gaming or video compression I increase the fans mainly because it is easier to replace a failed fan than a failed CPU or GPU in rMBP. I don't think its necessary to run any 3rd party apps, but for the reason I stated in the last sentence.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I've had no heat problems on my 2012 rMBP so I don't use any fan controls--just iStat to monitor things. I used SMC Fan Control on my iMac but have found no reason to use it on the rMBP.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I mentioned, my rMBP has been running fairly cool - it usually sits in the 36 to 40c range and bumps up a bit when I stress the computer but nothing that's not unexpected.

6. damuse macrumors newbie

Was doing some major iPhoto library surgery yesterday, splitting 70GB into separate album archives for each year, and it got surprisingly hot when deleting thousands of pictures (within iPhoto). At 100°C the fans finally revved up, but still barely a whisper. I immediately overrode the defaults and went full speed, eventually dropping temps back to about 70°C during deletes.

This was totally unexpected; CPU graph didn't show significant activity, and duplicating the master archive each time didn't raise the temps either. This suggests the GPU was in play, the only other time I've had such temperature spikes was playing games. No idea why the GPU might be used for deleting photos (re-generating thumbnails, I'd understand).

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Reset the SMC and retry a similar action. In the past, I've seen this occur and resetting the SMC corrected it.