3rd Party Hard Drive Recovery App?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orvn, Jan 16, 2011.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

Hello,

I damaged a hard drive important to me. It's from a black Macbook 2.4" Fujitsu SATA.

I tried connecting it to a SATA-USB hard disk dock that I have and repairing it using the disk utility, which told me that it couldn't help me.

I was wondering what the best hard disk recovery / forensic analysis tool for Mac is, disk utility aside? Welcome to both freeware and shareware.

Using OSX 10.6.6 on a Macbook pro at the moment.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Data Rescue III is often recommended, but if you can't get the drive to mount it won't help you.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Data Rescue III is often recommended, but if you can't get the drive to mount it won't help you."

Not entirely correct.

I had a drive with a damaged partition that wouldn't mount. Because it wouldn't mount, Data Rescue was unable to "see" it, and thus, couldn't work on it.

Hopeless, eh?

Nope.

My solution to recover the data was to RE-INITIALIZE the entire drive into a single partition (the drive had had multiple partitions beforehand).

"But you just destroyed all your data!", you're thinking.

Nope again.

Consider: when you re-initialize a drive, what are you really doing? You're "wiping out" the old DIRECTORY and replacing it with a new, fresh one. You aren't touching the DATA that actually resides on the drive's sectors. (Aside: if you "zero'ed out" the drive, yes, then you WOULD actually destroy that data, but reinitializing without zero'ing leaves the actual data intact.)

Once I had done this, I could now mount the re-initialized drive on the desktop, and now DR could see the drive -- and access the contents of the ENTIRE drive, even though the partitions I had created earlier were now gone.

Also consider what DR is and how it works. DR does not need to access a drive's directory. Instead, it "looks" directly to the data sectors on the drive. It will scavenge each sector, and rebuild the files it finds. You _do_ need a "scratch drive" on which to save the recovered files. You _will_ lose folder hierarchies, because they are a construct of the drive's directory and that has been wiped clean. BUT -- the data itself is still there to be recovered.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER:
    If you are unable to "repair" the drive using applications intended for that purpose, you still may be able to "get at" the data with a data recovery app, using the technique I have described above. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK -- it worked for me, no promise that it will work for you. But when nothing else works, this might be the ticket.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that DR3 has the ability to repair damaged partition info. Haven't tried that myself. I _have_ used an older version of DR to recover data (as described above).

Also, there is a newcomer to the data recovery field:
    DiskDrill, available here:
    http://www.cleverfiles.com/
    Note: it is currently "in beta", but the beta release is absolutely free. You may be able to get your data back with this, and NOT have to "pay the recovery fee" (as you do with the other apps).

4. linkerrinders macrumors newbie

Mac disk recovery

Hi orvn... If your hard disk logically damaged, you can use the Mac disk recovery software. It will recover all your damaged files from the disk. You just download the Remo Recover (Mac) Pro Edition software and try.