3rd Party IMEI unlocks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Any1wantpnut, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Any1wantpnut macrumors newbie

So, I have a question.

Recently, I've seen many advertisements on Craigslist and other places about iPhone unlocks using the IMEI. Prices can range between $80-$150. Sites like AppleNBerry also offer these unlocks.

I know about how AT&T can unlock off contract phones, but I was wondering if anyone tried some of these unlocks and if they are any good?

Thanks.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wouldn't trust it. There's a possibility that it is some employee at the carrier trying to make some extra money and secretly running the unlock through, but it's more likely that it won't work.

3. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Check out eBay if you are interested in getting yours done, many reputable sellers with realtime feedback and now days the prices are hovering ~$35-$40 and are bound to go down further.

Those that sell for $75-$150 are scammers to the max!

As always if you can go directly from your carrier then take that route first, second I would always recommend eBay due to its real time feedback score that can be viewed for each seller prior to buying from them. Something like this I would only buy from Sellers with feedback score of 350+ in total with at least 50+ Successful sales of the Unlock and Processed with Feedback from buyers.

I bought a Used iPhone 4 recently for someone in my family locked to AT&T but since I have been a AT&T prepaid customer for all the trips I take to USA, I got them to unlock it for me, all they asked was the persons name that I bought it from. Lady checked and told me its eligiable and processed the unlock...waiting for a confirmation email. Had AT&T declined me for any reason I would have gone to eBay rather than anywhere else....Been on eBay for 7+ years now so very familiar with the key things I need to watch out for to have successful transactions with sellers.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually they're not all scammers.
    There's plenty of real unlock places that do them from anywhere from $40 to $150.
    It works perfect like a real official unlock. How they do it or why, when noone knows for sure but it works.

5. Any1wantpnut thread starter macrumors newbie

6. saud0488 macrumors 6502

why go that route if you can go through the ebay route and get it done 40-50 dollars without going anywhere?

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Personally i always prefer to go through my network to unlock.

02 in the Uk charges £15 which is around $23.

8. saud0488 macrumors 6502

That would be preferable but for many with AT&T iPhones, AT&T isn't their network and thus, they can't get it unlocked through them.

I'm seeing 3rd party unlocks as low as 35 dollars or so and the more reputable ones are about 39.99. Seems the competition is REALLY bringing the price down. You have to wonder if these will work when the new iPhone comes out.

9. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I just wouldnt do it when cash is involved, I would however do it over Paypal...eBay...where there is a middle man to help you incase the person performing the service does something wrong.

----------

I didnt mean they are scammers like take your money and run away kind of deal but that they are over charging to the max....I feel bad for those that are spending $150 to Unlock a iPhone 3g/3gs/4....even 4S....insane price...

I would highly recommend eBay to any person looking to get their iPhone unlocked no matter what model because you do get protection from eBay and Paypal as well as you can refer to real time feedback unlike other websites where you have "Testimonials" from people you dont even know if they are real or jus made up.

10. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

Always use paypal and you're covered!

Happy unlockings, ultrasn0w doesn't seem to be popular these days :p

11. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

O2 in the UK haven't charged for nearly 3 years, its completely free.

link

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

02 charge payg customers to unlock.

13. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

If you're using PAYG, you're better off buying an iPhone factory unlocked from Apple anyway, that's what I always do because I'm on giffgaff.

14. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Ah right, ok. :D