Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobbep90sverige

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
What are the negatives of using a 3rd party keyboard instead of Apples own? Do i lose any functions or something?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Depends on the keyboard but generally the keyboards get the data or what you’re typing. I just don’t trust any other company other than Apple.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I have found it to be kind of a hassle because sometimes the built-in keyboard will pop up instead of the 3rd party, and I once found a third party keyboard completely disabled.

They do add some nice features though depending on the keyboard. I personally have tried Gboard which is nice. It's limited compared to how it behaves on Android, but it does allow for easy-ish GIF insertion, emoji search (which is awesome) and some other fun stuff.

If you like me live in a country with a language not supported by Apple QuickType it's in my opinion a must to use a third party keyboard that does this. I also like swipe typing rather than tapping.

There is a legitimate concern though of third party keyboard having access to what you type, so make sure to chose one you trust (I personally have no problem using Gboard and SwiftKey, though I prefer the former). I also use the Apple keyboard when entering extra sensitive data.

Edit:
Forgot to answer the actual question. Oops.
You're not really missing anything by using a third party keyboard. And it's easy to switch back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.