3rd party keyboards still don't work for me

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ehzool, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ehzool macrumors member

I made a thread before 8.1 came out about two problems with 3rd party keyboards.

1) You have to scroll down every time you open a conversation
    2) Most of the time, you can never "quick reply" to a message on the lockscreen because the keyboard just refuses to show up.

With 8.1, my first problem has been fixed but the second still exists and is actually worse it seems.

Does anybody out there use a 3rd party keyboard that works every time on the lockscreen? If so, what keyboard are you using and how did you fix it?
    SwiftKey NEVER shows up on the lockscreen for me.

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

So far 3rd party keyboards are the most un-Apple like implementation of a feature I have ever seen. It feels more "tacked onto the side" than anything else and above all, like you said, it doesn't work correctly in an abundance of situations. Keyboards were one of the biggest features for me and they let me down greatly.

3. TheColtr macrumors regular

Doesn't work for me either on a 6 iOS 8.1; Apple has decided that though we can reply from the lock screen, that is only granted to people that stick with their keyboard. I wish they would make Swype work on the lock screen.

4. jrpmsms macrumors member

jrpmsms

word (OP)
    they have cleary failed to recognize how many folks rejected the iphone simply because of the keyboard... and the potential of finally allowing 3rd party keyboards done right.

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I just posted this on another keyboard thread:

Anyone else notice that Swype is the ONLY 3rd party keyboard that's in the top 100 paid OR free apps? Not even Swiftkey or TouchPal are in the top 100 free.

Think that's telling.

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Third-party keyboards can't load when the phone is locked, period. Apple currently blocks this.

However, what SHOULD happen is that if you try to reply to a message from the lock screen, you just get the default Apple keyboard. Is this not what is happening?

7. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I think keyboards may finally be completely fixed by 8.1.1. I'm not holding my breath though. It's possible that all the kinks won't get worked out until iOS 8.3. The built in keyboard is the safest and reliable option so I'm not gonna bother anymore.

8. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

We'll see about the final 8.1.1 release. The current beta doesn't seem to have any fixes for keyboard issues that I've been able to find so far. I tried SwiftKey for a few hours then reverted back to the default keyboard because of all the bugs.

9. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

That's disappointing. 8.2 and 8.3 will be released early next year so we will be halfway to iOS 9 before maybe getting iOS 8 rock solid? Sigh.