iPhone 3rd party keyboards

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by gregrose, Jun 23, 2015.

1. gregrose macrumors 6502

Is Apple serious with how awful the implementation is of these keyboards!? Unbelievable it's so buggy and they barely show up. Anyone else have this issue? How do you release / not fix this issue that is clearly very visible. Trash company

2. gregrose thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm using SwiftKey if that helps

3. kevroc macrumors 6502

Agreed.

4. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Most of the keyboard bugs are gone since iOS8.3 on my iPhone 5s and iPad mini2. I can also write a review with my keyboards (Path Input, Swype, Swiftkey) in the App Store since a while. I'm still testing out a few but for my iPad mini2 i mostly use the Path Input iPad version and for my iPhone i use Swype but i like the layout better from Swiftkey but don't like the privacy settings and the predictions are less good.

See also the general 3rd party keyboard topic for any further discussions regarding 3rd party keyboards.

What kind of iOS version are you using and on which devices?

5. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

It's awful. With Swiftkey's latest update, it's a lot more stable but still lags a whole lot. I stopped using Fleksy and Swiftkey and reverted back to stock.

6. rocat1997 macrumors regular

I went back to the stock keyboard as well. I noticed the 3rd party ones were major drains on the battery. Plus, I got tired of correcting their mistakes.

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I stopped using all third party keyboards. What a terrible experience on all of them. Yes I used the top three Swiftkey Flecksy and Seype they were all terrible. I'm not a fan of the native iOS keyboard either. Oh well.

8. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Can you explain why you thinkg it's a terrible experience? I really like Swype and Path Input (iPad) version when using swiping. It saves me a lot of time and the predictions from especially Swype are great in my opinion and i don't have to give 'full access' to my keyboard. It would be great if Apple would also allow the speach feature in 3rd party keyboards and the Swype orange button is awfull and i don't like that e.g. emojis are hidden after that swype key.

9. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

swiftkey is the worst one i think..still buggy..and lagging while appearing on spotlight.. etc.

fleksy is the best one for now. no shutdowns no lags.. rock solid..

10. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour

It's quite a lot better on ios 9 than on ios 8.4. So there is hope

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

um, really? I wonder if there is something wrong with mine then. I get a lag while it opens every time I go to type a message, search in spotlight, etc. And it crashes and reverts to standard apple keyboard quite often.

I'll continue to use it simply because getting to emoji is such a better experience.

12. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

mine never crashed from now on. fleksy is ok for me..swiftkey is totally fail

13. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

it's the lag that really gets to me, having to wait a beat every time i go to type, does that happen to you?

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

Honestly, I prefer the stock keyboard for 2 reasons

1) The autocorrect. Third party keyboards have terrible autocorrect compared to the stock keyboard.
    2) Stability. It works when I need it and the animations for it aren't choppy. I don't have to hope it comes up when I need to type something.

15. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

not in 5s..but in mini 2 retina , a little lag occurs when the heyboard pops up. as you said

16. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I have used Swiftkey since launch and got totally sick of it, just the other day I thought I would give Swype a go.

For me Swype is a lot better. It crashes a lot less frequently (but still does), has better prediction of words and two big differences in features. When Swype incorrectly predicts a word pressing backspace deletes the whole word, Swiftkey just the last letter. And Swype has word prediction above the keyboard like the stock iOS keyboard.