3rd party lightning cable questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Zmanbaseball2, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have these BTW and they work:
    iXCC (tm) 2pcs White 10ft (TEN FEET !) EXTRA LONG Lightning USB SYNC Cable Cord Charger For Apple iPhone 5, iPod Nano 7, iPod Touch 5, iPad 4, iPad with Retina Display and the iPad Mini
    http://amzn.com/B0092HN0UY

Could a 3rd party cable damage my iPhone 5 or iPod touches battery in any way in the long run?(Cables that are not MFi certified). Would 3rd party cables work with iOS 7 when it comes out? Does anyone use Monoprice's lightning cables(these are MFi certified. I am thinking about getting the 10ft one. Any other cheaper MFi ones out their that you recommend. Im starting to think about only MFi lightning cables are going to work in iOS 7.

Sorry if their is similar threads on this already. I just want a personal answer.

2. Applejuiced, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I been using 3rd party cables for many years with all my iphones since the original 2G iphone.
    No problems with the iphones or battery life in multiple idevices.
    My 3rd party lightning cables work fine with no probs and price was great.
    I don't over think it or over analyze it too much. Certified or non-apple certified makes no difference to me.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

What's the point? Is it really worth the minimal dollar savings?

4. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

A little bit but i was also just wondering.

----------

Do you use 3rd party lightning cables? Which ones? Thank you for your response.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I bought some on amazon a while ago.
    I think they had a deal like 3 for $6 or something.
    Search on amazon, they have some decent prices for lightning cables. I see some for $2 each now.

6. lordgaino macrumors member

i have been experiencing recurring problems when charging my iphone 5 via a non-official lightening cable plugged into the usb port of my pc. Basically, it doesnt work. I have tried numerous cheap ebay cables and either i get no response from the phone when i plug it in, or the message 'charging is not supported with this accessory'.

Can anyone shed any light? Is apple blocking the use of unauthorised cables? It pains me to have to pay the silly money for an official cable!

Thanks

7. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Maybe the ones you are getting are ones that are crap. The ones i said in the first post of this thread work. The ones i said were 10ft. You can get these: 3 for 10$
    iXCC (TM) 3 pcs White 8-Pin Lightning Cable for Apple iPhone5, iPad4, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPod Nano 7th Gen
    http://amzn.com/B00D6EHSLG

Or these which are mfi certified by apple:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=lightning+cables

8. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Every cheap lightning cable has failed me within 2 months time. Not worth it.

9. keystothecity macrumors member

Does anyone know where I can get a good quality Lightning cable that won't give me the warning that it's not an official Lightning cable when plugged in?

I'm looking for a super long one if possible. Any help would be great appreciated!

10. Zmanbaseball2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

11. keystothecity macrumors member

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It's $19.

13. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

amazon now has a 6 ft amazon basic cable for 14.99. happened to go on right now and saw the new size option. I decided to go with the OEM cable and a monoprice 6 ft usb extension for my needs. 2 extension cables were less than $5 shipped. only downside is charging time takes a small hit, but I will be using for overnight charges anyways.

14. sisspc macrumors newbie

I've had this one for about a month and it has worked great so far. I am not affiliated with that seller in any way.