Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2008
USA
So we know that there is a chip in the Lightning cable that will prohibit or at least discourage cheap knock-offs from Asia. But I'm wondering if Apple will license their Lightning technology to the large 3rd party accessory companies like Griffin / Belkin / Scoche?

Even if I'm already resigned to paying the higher prices for Lightning cables, I'm hoping that we can get a selection of different cable lengths / colors, as well as iPhone 5 specific chargers like the Griffin PowerJolt SE that I used with the iPhone 4. But the lack of announcements from the major players has me worried a bit.

So - any news, good or bad, on this subject?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
So we know that there is a chip in the Lightning cable that will prohibit or at least discourage cheap knock-offs from Asia. But I'm wondering if Apple will license their Lightning technology to the large 3rd party accessory companies like Griffin / Belkin / Scoche?

Even if I'm already resigned to paying the higher prices for Lightning cables, I'm hoping that we can get a selection of different cable lengths / colors, as well as iPhone 5 specific chargers like the Griffin PowerJolt SE that I used with the iPhone 4. But the lack of announcements from the major players has me worried a bit.

So - any news, good or bad, on this subject?

We don't know actually this, one singular fool who sells $800 custom cables took one apart and said the non-descript chip inside was, but provided no actual evidence.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I see no reason why apple would not let those companies sell them. They currently sell all three of their products in Apple stores, including sync cables. I would assume they will license or buy the chips from Apple and the cables will be priced in line with the Apple ones because of that. Hopefully one of them makes a short cable (12"-24") would work some could use it in my car. The long cable is constantly getting wrapped around everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.