"3rd party mac app stores"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sambobsessed, Mar 3, 2013.

1. sambobsessed macrumors member

Hey, I'm wondering if people can tell me some "3rd party mac app stores"? When I say 3rd party I mean outside of the apple app store - (macbook). Like CNET which give you downloads to different mac apps but other websites to CNET? Thanks

-sambobsessed

2. GGJstudios, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may be useful (includes sources for Mac apps):
    Many non-App Store apps are best downloaded directly from the developer sites. Are you looking for something specific? Another well known site is MacUpdate.

3. sambobsessed thread starter macrumors member

I've an obsession of looking for new apps and stuff for my mac but the app store isn't that great for it considering the topcharts never really change and there's not much to offer in the first place :(

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It makes more sense to start with an idea of what you want to do with your computer, then look for an app that helps you accomplish that. Many functions can be done with the software that comes with Mac OS X, with no need to install another app. Many apps aren't worth installing, and some are problematic. The times you do need to install an app, chances are very high that such apps have been discussed at length in the forum, recommending good apps and warning against bad ones.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Here is one I have used in the past. There are many out there. I like this one quite a bot as it lets you know of updates akin to mac app store

http://appbodega.com

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Dropbox
    AdBlock
    iStat Pro
    Widgets for your Dashboard
    MS Office
    jDownloader
    XBMC
    and many more depending on what you want. If you need to do something there is prob an app already for that.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That is because OS X is not like iOS. If you don't see that there's a new app, it's pretty much because there isn't. They aren't hiding anything from you. ;)

The best places to find out about new apps are at Apple related websites. MacUpdate and Bodega are also good, however you might soon realize that you might bump into a lot of legacy stuff at both places.

8. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

http://www.macupdate.com

You're welcome.