3rd party Magsafe Chargers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afellowlinguist, Jul 13, 2011.

1. afellowlinguist macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My 85W MagSafe charger recently got torn apart by my dog :eek:, and I'm hesitant to shell out $75 for a new one.

Has anybody had any experiences with cheaper, third party solutions to the MagSafe charger? Surfing around on the Bay, I can already find quite a few vendors with very high feedback selling 60W/85W chargers, such as the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/60W-MagSafe-AC-...s_Chargers&hash=item3a59c844fc#ht_2046wt_1103

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I'd buy third party, I bought a third party battery for my A1181 for 30$ and it came with a three year warranty. I have used it for a year now with no problems. I know it's different, but personally I don't think there's much difference.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I would avoid them. They are cheap for a reason, and if you search you will find some horror stories of them burning out MBs and MBPs.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Check Amazon - I was able to get a new genuine Apple one (of the new model too) for $35 from a 3rd party seller. It was marked as Used, Like New, but what came was an actual brand new one.

Here's the link - I'd recommend getting a "like new" Apple one before getting an off brand for around the same price.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have an aftermarket for my G4 it works fine, but it does get warmer.

6. siytek macrumors newbie

Normally I would agree with you on this, however I think you will find just as many, if not more horror stories about the genuine MagSafe!!

I am currently looking to (reluctantly) buy my FOURTH MagSafe supply for my MBP, that will be one supply for every year I have owned it! The first supply suffered with the early problem of the pins loosing their 'springiness' and both the second and third supply burnt out at the MagSafe end!! Its probably lucky no other damage was done other than some scorching to the laptop connector.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Definitely

+1 get the proper Apple replacement, and buy your dog something else to chew on!